9 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

I have the starter made and chilled in th fridge so I need to squeeze this in sometime in the next several days. I haven't made a saison since summer and this one is something I am making pretty much for myself. I don't have saison drinkers around here too often. I'm continuing to explore some new or less familiar ingredients with this one. Anyone use Triskel before? DuPont dry hopped a limited edition of their Vieille Provision with it in 2013. I didn't have it but thought it would be worth a try. Thoughts?

https://www.hopslist...ops/840-triskel

[color=rgb(85,85,85);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Triskel is a cultivar of the French variety, Strisselspalt, and an English Yeoman. It can be added on either end of the brew. It is an elegant combination, the perfect wedding, really, of floral and fruit. Its high alpha content makes it an excellent first wort addition, but its amazing aroma makes it great for late or dry hopping. This is the second cultivar from the French varietal breeding program. It is a moderate alpha acid variety with low cohumulone, high in myrcene (60%). It is highly desired for Belgian-style ales.[/color]

OG 1.048

SRM 3

IBU 26

85% Dingeman's Pils

10% MFB Vienna

5% Flaked Wheat

Mash @148F for 90 min

12g Gr. Magnum @60 for 24 IBU

14g Styrian Goldings @10 for 2 IBU

14g Styrian Goldings @0 min

WY3724

56g French Triskel Dry Hop

Edited by nettles, 18 December 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

When first read the title I thought it was tickle ... so all I have to add is you should call it French Tickler :D

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

When first read the title I thought it was tickle ... so all I have to add is you should call it French Tickler :D

Funny. That's a deal. If it turns out good I will call it French Tickler. Good name.

#4 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

That was my favorite of the DuPont dry hopped saisons.  I remember looking for the hop but at the time, the only vendor I was referred to was in Australia.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

That was my favorite of the DuPont dry hopped saisons.  I remember looking for the hop but at the time, the only vendor I was referred to was in Australia.

I wish I would have had it. I had this years Challenger dry hopped version and liked it. Didn't blow me away but I found it very pleasant to drink.

Triskel can be had here www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com

or at Hops Direct

Edited by nettles, 19 December 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

Your recipe looks quite elegant in its simplicity.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

Probably the best Saison I have made to date. My OG came in a little high at 1.051 and finished at 1.004 and tastes nice and dry. Its, as you might expect, an ideal beer for summertime. But that's what I was going for right now. It's very bright and complex. There's a bright lemony-ness to it with some mild background pepper and spice and a touch of earthiness. The Triskel comes across citrusy and a little floral/hay-like with just a little fruitiness to it. I'm guessing the earthiness is from the Styrians. Hard sometimes for me to say what is from the hop and what is from the yeast but it's all working together so nicely. I would definitely use Triskel in an American style IPA/APA. What I am getting from it is very pleasant. My wife digs this one too, and she can be picky, so that's a plus.

A side note on 3724/565. This is the second time I have used 3724/565. I have not had the dreaded stall and in both cases it finished dry in the same timeframe I would expect from my other ales. On a recent podcast with Denny and Drew Beacham talking about their book Drew mentioned that since he began to cover his carboy with foil instead of an airlock he has never had 3724/565 stall on him. He postulated that 3724/565 is extremely back pressure sensitive. Covering the carboy mouth with foil for at least the first 24 hrs has always been my procedure with all beers so perhaps that's why I have not had it stall. It's only N=2 for me but Drew makes a lot of Saison from what I understand. Anyways, if anyone is interested in trying it I thought it would be worth mentioning. This yeast is obviously awesome.

Posted Image

Edited by nettles, 15 January 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

Beautiful by design and appearance.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

damn!  how is that beer so yellow?  like day glow!  :lol:  is that just some strange auto-white-balance on your camera?

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

No, it was purposely placed in a late afternoon sunbeam coming through the window with a shadowed background that I knew would remain blackish at that exposure. The beer is generally that shade of yellow or maybe a touch lighter, but nowhere near that intensity/saturation. Between the 3724, flaked wheat, and dry hop it is definitely that cloudy and will hopefully be that way until the end of the keg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users