Photo
- - - - -

I accidentally a IPL. EisPL. How much Alcohol Gain?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Kegged this beer today https://www.brews-br...ipl-on-tuesday/ 1.064 6.5 gallon batch of IPL. My new fermenter(vittles vault) is so fat it sat against the cold plate in my wine fridge and froze the back 2" of beer--prolly 1 gallon. I barely got 5 gallons out of it. This thing is begging for a corny Star Wars themed name like Imperial Hoth EisPL or something. Tasted great. How much alcohol do you fellas think I gained from freezing 1 gallon out of 6.5? Ugh, posted in wrong forum. Can I get a mod to move this to the reg beer forum? TIA.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm calling the feds!

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'm calling the feds!

#### the feds!

#4 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Morty calm yourself down.  

I'd like to try some Eis Pils!!

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

Morty calm yourself down.     I'd like to try some Eis Pils!!

It's an Eis IPL.

#6 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

6.5/5=1.3, so it will have 130% of the original ABV.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:10 AM

i thought you lost some of the alcohol along with the other liquid (just not as much)?

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

Thanks. About 1/2 gal was yeast and dry hop sludge so... 6/4.9=1.224 1.066OG to 1.012FG=7.09% abv 7.09X .1224=8.678% abv This ought to be a warmer for sure. Didn't have any detectable warmth or alcohol taste in the sample. This will be a stealthy buzz.

#9 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

i thought you lost some of the alcohol along with the other liquid (just not as much)?

I think that's true. 

If you want more than a ball-park estimate, you can measure the final gravity and take a refractometer measurement, then calculate the ABV from the discrepancy between the readings.

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

This ought to be a warmer for sure. Didn't have any detectable warmth or alcohol taste in the sample. This will be a stealthy buzz.

I never thought of that before, but it probably would be more subtle than a typical high ABV beer, because you aren't stressing the yeast as much as you would fermenting to a high alcohol.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

I think that's true. 

If you want more than a ball-park estimate, you can measure the final gravity and take a refractometer measurement, then calculate the ABV from the discrepancy between the readings.

it would be interesting if chils could take a reading and actually figure out what the concentration factor was.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

it would be interesting if chils could take a reading and actually figure out what the concentration factor was.

Yes, it would.

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

I don't have a refractometer. I'll take a FG reading with my hydrometer in a couple days after it's done force carbing.

Should it read lower than the one I took(1.012) before it froze?

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

Should it read lower than the one I took(1.012) before it froze?

I would think higher, no?

How did this EisPL turn out?

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

I would think higher, no?     How did this EisPL turn out?

It's good. Super clean and hop flavor out the wazoo. I brainfarted on my 170F whirlpool addition and didn't add it till it dropped to 115F. It added a ton of hop flavor(almost too much) but it's missing the resiny mouthfeel I love from the proper whirlpool temp. Makes me want to add 2 additions. One at 170F, the other at 115F. No real alcohol warmth to speak of. I'd bet the freezing didn't add too much extra alcohol percentage to it. Haven't noticed any extra buzziness from drinking a pint of it.

Edited by chils, 09 December 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

I brainfarted on my 170F whirlpool addition and didn't add it till it dropped to 115F. It added a ton of hop flavor(almost too much) but it's missing the resiny mouthfeel I love from the proper whirlpool temp. Makes me want to add 2 additions. One at 170F, the other at 115F.

I've often thought about doing just that. I think it is myrcene that volatilizes at like 120F or something like that and boils at like 165-170F. I would think it would add oils similar to a dry addition but they would have to be subjected to fermentation which we all know consumes some compounds and alters others changing the flavor. Could be interesting.

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

I've often thought about doing just that. I think it is myrcene that volatilizes at like 120F or something like that and boils at like 165-170F. I would think it would add oils similar to a dry addition but they would have to be subjected to fermentation which we all know consumes some compounds and alters others changing the flavor. Could be interesting.

This thing has more hop flavor than anything I've done to the point of me wanting it to calm down a bit. It reminds me of when I've squeezed out leaf hops after a dry hop and drank it. Missing the resin though.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

This thing has more hop flavor than anything I've done to the point of me wanting it to calm down a bit. It reminds me of when I've squeezed out leaf hops after a dry hop and drank it. Missing the resin though.

I wonder if more time and cold should help that. (although I guess you gave it quite a bit of cold!! :lol: )The IPA I made most recently got almost 6oz in the whirlpool for 6 gallons and the same amount again dry. It took a little longer than usual to wait for the hop tannins/polyphenols to drop out (I kept thinking I added to many) but now that they have, wow. You can smell this beer from 5 ft. away.

#19 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

I wonder if more time and cold should help that. (although I guess you gave it quite a bit of cold!! :lol: )The IPA I made most recently got almost 6oz in the whirlpool for 6 gallons and the same amount again dry. It took a little longer than usual to wait for the hop tannins/polyphenols to drop out (I kept thinking I added to many) but now that they have, wow. You can smell this beer from 5 ft. away.

That's a bunch of whirlpool hops. Must taste like a hop tarball--yum.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

That's a bunch of whirlpool hops. Must taste like a hop tarball--yum.

Well, probably not the term I would have used. Not sure if that was meant to be flattering or not.  :scratch:

It is very pleasantly resinous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users