Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone decorated their bar/brewery with grain bags?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Precariously not beer-related so any mod can feel free to move it.I have saved some of my empty grain sacks (a Best Malz, a Weyermann, a Malteurop, a Canada Malting, a Rahr) thinking that I would do something with them. I had some of them just 'tacked' to the wall of my beer bunker but I wondered and rubbed my chin  :scratch:  about having some of them framed to hang in the bar.  These are not necessarily super-decorative pieces of art but they're certainly unique to brewing.  Anyone done anything decorative with an empty sack of grain?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

just like you i have them pinned up in my brew area. that's about it.  i bet someone could make messenger bags or purses out of them that might be neat.  maybe a hobby for mrs. ken?  then you'll have to brew more ;)

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

I give them to my dad and he fills them with field corn in the fall.  And that's a NO to the decoration idea as of yet.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

Precariously not beer-related so any mod can feel free to move it.I have saved some of my empty grain sacks (a Best Malz, a Weyermann, a Malteurop, a Canada Malting, a Rahr) thinking that I would do something with them. I had some of them just 'tacked' to the wall of my beer bunker but I wondered and rubbed my chin  :scratch:  about having some of them framed to hang in the bar.  These are not necessarily super-decorative pieces of art but they're certainly unique to brewing.  Anyone done anything decorative with an empty sack of grain?

Yep. From your pics it looks like you have a really nice beer themed bar. I would think your idea of putting them in a frame and hanging them in the bar would fit right in. I say do it.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10734 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

you can always cut out the logo from the grain bag and frame that so that it is not so large.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

you can always cut out the logo from the grain bag and frame that so that it is not so large.

Right. I don't think I would want to frame the whole thing... it would be huge and expensive. Maybe slightly smaller like 20x15 or something so that it was smaller but not down to a 8.5 x 11. Could be cool, methinks.

#7 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

Ken I've been saving my old bags for this idea.... I'm just not sure how I'm going to incorporate it.

I'll keep you posted.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

I know that framing can be very expensive. There is a place nearby that does a nice job and they will do a 50% all framing kind of thing occasionally. People started waiting for the 50% off sale and then the place would be swamped so they do it more often now and I would wait for the sale for sure. I just did a quick image search using the Google machine and searched FRAMED GRAIN BAG and FRAMED BARLEY BAG and didn't get any real beer-related hits. There was some sort of French grain sack artwork framed in reclaimed oak but otherwise I don't see any. It could be that the bags are really just not that attractive but I was assume brewers and beer-drinkers might appreciate it. I'm going to noodle with this.

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

I found some cool ideas here: httpss://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=853&bih=435&q=malt+art&oq=malt+art&gs_l=img.3..0i24.2717.4793.0.5471.8.7.0.1.1.0.167.1036.0j7.7.0....0...1ac.1.58.img..0.8.1033.PC32xnQ2yXA#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=beer+malt+bag+artI like this one.Posted Image

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

That's classic. A girl in a malt bag dress drinking beer from a pitcher while being watched by 'James Lovibond'. Hilarious. One of the bags I saved is the same as what her dress is made from. Cheers!

#11 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

I want to do this.  Although since i'm tall, i would need to stitch 2 together.

Posted Image

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

I want to do this.  Although since i'm tall, i would need to stitch 2 together.

Posted Image

I keep trying to get my wife to make one of these for me.

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Huh... I had never thought of doing this.  Damn you guys!  I just threw away a couple of bags a few weeks ago (grain is stored in vittle vaults).

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

So the local framing place had some sort of 60% off certain frames and another 10% off all framing so I brought these in about 3 weeks ago and picked them up last night.

6tl082.jpg

The only real strange one is that the text printing on the Rahr sack was not aligned with the logo printing so it's off. I think that I would have had them cut it and straighten it out if I had noticed it was like that. Otherwise, I think my attempt to "de-frat house" the bar area worked out well. The guy at the frame place said he thought the idea was really cool and that he had never framed "grain bag art" before. Cheers kids.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

Looks sharp. I have a couple hanging up but really its just to cover concrete block wall in my beer dungeon, beer bunker, brewery.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

The guy said that they were tough to work with. He wanted to stretch them and get the wrinkles out of them but stretching them too much distorted the images. Yes, I also just tacked a few to the walls in my beer bunker (I have an older Rahr sack that was "paper", not the plastic mesh type) and some other ones. I'm also realizing that some of these malting companies are not really making "attractive" grain sacks anymore. Some have gone to just "text" with no logo or the logo is small and one color, etc. There may not be much more opportunity to do this and as it is... I'm not sure that these are really "suitable for framing" but they're unique. Cheers.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

The CCB brewpub is decorated in malt bags all over the damn place. I think they are quite ubiquitous in the brewing world.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

The CCB brewpub is decorated in malt bags all over the damn place. I think they are quite ubiquitous in the brewing world.

Despite being in far too many brewpubs, breweries, etc., I'm not sure that I have seen many malt bags used as 'art'. When I first brought these in and they were laying on a big table, other employees would come by and go OH COOL! and pick them up, look at them, etc. I assumed most people wouldn't know what they were.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

They have them framed in as well, but about the whole bag. Probably 100 or more.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

They have them framed in as well, but about the whole bag. Probably 100 or more.

Sweet. I bet it looks cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users