Photo
- - - - -

Spring & Summer Pale Ale w/some process mods...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Gang: I had this beer on the schedule and decided to use it as a step towards getting this pale beer issue of mine under control. I envisioned a pale amber, light-bodied pale ale with some citrus notes and a crisp flavor and finish. I wanted to keep it simple.

Spring & Summer Pale Ale

9 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt
6 ounces Crystal 80L
6 AAU Magnum pellets for 60 minutes
½ oz Amarillo pellets 8.4% for 5 minutes
½ oz Amarillo pellets 8.4% for 2 minutes
White Labs 090 San Diego Superyeast

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.013, IBU: 30, SRM: 7, ABV: 5.0%

25% distilled water. I mashed at 150.5°. Got the mash pH to 5.3. Took the pH of the sparge water at room temp and it was 6.8. I added 1.5ml of lactic acid and it went to 5.9. Another ½ml and it went to 5.3. Took the kettle pH and it was 5.4. After measuring the pH of the finished beers over the weekend, it occurs to me that there are times when I have a commercial beer and there is a character to it that I can't quite put my finger on. The Stiegl over the weekend (had another 2 big cans of it last night) shows that bright, crisp, snappy flavor and it's got to be pH. I'm feeling a little sheepish not knowing this all this time. I'm not assuming that this is absolutely the problem I have been having with pale beers but it seems probable. I had a batch of Vienna Lager (Jamil's) lined up with some 2308 but I'm going to move that back and make a pilsner with the 2308 instead. This will give me the chance to try this on a very pale beer.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Looks nice.  I had a similar beer planned but wanted to use some Citra to go with the Amarillo.

How do you like the WLP090? 

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Looks very nice and clean and I have aspirations of the same basic ingredients for my next batch. I intend on bittering with Magnum and finishing at 5 minutes with an ounce each of Amarillo, Cascade and Citra.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

I have a nice Amarillo-Citra pale ale recipe and I like that combo. I decided that a pale ale with just the citrusy character of the Amarillo would be nice and a few weeks ago I made the dark, hoppy wheat beer (posted in here somewhere) where 2 ounces of Citra were used late & by themselves. Awhile back I wanted to try a few 'neutral' ale yeasts that I hadn't tried so I picked up 1764 Pacman and also the WLP090. This is the maiden voyage so I'll post results later. Everything I read says it's WLP001 on steroids and it ferments quickly. I plan to keep the temp low so things don't get explosive. Cheers gang.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

I have a nice Amarillo-Citra pale ale recipe and I like that combo. I decided that a pale ale with just the citrusy character of the Amarillo would be nice and a few weeks ago I made the dark, hoppy wheat beer (posted in here somewhere) where 2 ounces of Citra were used late & by themselves. Awhile back I wanted to try a few 'neutral' ale yeasts that I hadn't tried so I picked up 1764 Pacman and also the WLP090. This is the maiden voyage so I'll post results later. Everything I read says it's WLP001 on steroids and it ferments quickly. I plan to keep the temp low so things don't get explosive. Cheers gang.

Thanks.  I am also interested in trying WLP090 soon and also WLP250 from Rebel Brewing.  I need to come up with a may to make more time.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

Really nice aroma coming from this airlock. I have no idea if it's 'fermenting faster' as the White Labs site says but it is chugging along quite nicely. I'm getting a very clean aroma, very similar to 1056 and WLP001. I plan to use this yeast on a couple of other beers... maybe another batch of MLPA, maybe Signature Ale or a Red Ale. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users