20 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Seeing that I miss most of my brewing goals last year I hope 2014 is better. I will simplify my goals for this year.

[*]Brew at least once a month, 10g batches[*]Brew at least one lager[*]Complete my journey on a small, 3-3.5%, highly hopped pale ale recipe[*]Never have an empty tap[/list]

How about everyone else.  What do you hope for in 2014

ETA: ugh on the title!  UGH!

Edited by drez77, 20 December 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

Since I finally did a small batch with success, I'm going to try to nail a belgian ale recipe this year. I had a couple prior attemps on a tripel that were okay, but not great. I think if I small batch it I can take more stabs at getting the fermentation profile right.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Schwanz's 2014 Goals

[*]Brew a good lager[*]Brew a saison I like[*]Brew a Belgian tripel[*]Sour my 5 gal barrel[*]Make/Buy a kegerator that actually works[*]Get lab equipment and count some yeast[/list]

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

BlKtRe's 2014 goals

* Finish updating brew room/organize/paint concrete walls, floor

* Go through equipment and sell or give away unneeded items

* Finish building new 8 tap kegerator

* Build/update brewery

* Continue sour beer barrel program

* Brew more IpA and Lagers 

#5 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

[*]Start working on sours[*]condense and clean the brewing storage into the new chamber[*]Keep the damn taps full, they've been empty way too long[*]get the beer gas system up and running again[*]finish the bar bench/grain storage project[*]lots of lagers and altbiers[*]make a passable table saison[/list]

I think that's lofty enough given my free time dwindling.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

BlKtRe's 2014 goals

* Go through equipment and sell or give away unneeded items

I started doing this.  I have more to go.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

drill a hole in my HLT and put a drain on it.

keep making delicious beer as often as possible.

my goals are so weak.  motivated i am not :lol:

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

I started doing this.  I have more to go.

Ive got a bunch. 

I will add another goal.

* Build a cold coffee drip tower and serve cold coffee on Nitro. 

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Build a cold coffee drip tower and serve cold coffee on Nitro. 

I see some potential there.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

[*]Continue to simplify and economize my brewing processes and recipes[*]Experiment with Saison's and other rustic ales[*]Contain my perceived need to overly hop[*]Set my goal at not less than one batch per month[/list]

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

» Make Beer» Drink BeerHonestly, I'm happy where I am. I always keep my eyes open for new things (grains, yeast, hops, gadgets) and I'm always interested in new processes so I know I'll do some new things this year. It would be good if at the end of 2014, I have a straightforward, understandable strategy for how to attack the styles I make from a water profile standpoint. I'm already pretty close on that but there are some soft spots in that strategy. Cheers Brothers.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

No specific goals here other than to keep learning stuff, brewing, drinking, and enjoying it. 

Speaking of learning stuff there are a lot of people mentioning an interest in doing lagers. Looks like it would be a first lager for a few of us. *looks at self* Do I smell a group lager brew for January? Anyone interested? I think I could pull off the fermentation in my cold basement this time of year. I'd have to do it Ken Leonard style in a bucket. 

#13 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hopefully complete a trade of a lap steel for a used 8-10 gallon barrel.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Speaking of learning stuff there are a lot of people mentioning an interest in doing lagers. Looks like it would be a first lager for a few of us. *looks at self* Do I smell a group lager brew for January? Anyone interested? I think I could pull off the fermentation in my cold basement this time of year. I'd have to do it Ken Leonard style in a bucket.

I am down with that.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

No specific goals here other than to keep learning stuff, brewing, drinking, and enjoying it.  Speaking of learning stuff there are a lot of people mentioning an interest in doing lagers. Looks like it would be a first lager for a few of us. *looks at self* Do I smell a group lager brew for January? Anyone interested? I think I could pull off the fermentation in my cold basement this time of year. I'd have to do it Ken Leonard style in a bucket.

First thing to do is get water, soda, Gatorade or apple juice bottles, fill them with water and freeze them so you can drop them in the water and keep the temp close to 50. You may have other ways to do this or maybe you already have a cool spot. Remember that lager yeast likes it consistent so a garage in the winter is not going to cut it... not for primary. The temp swings are too much from day to night. I made a lot of good lagers in a swamp bucket so I'm thinking you guys could do this. Or... just spring for a new dorm fridge and then it's lagers year round! Hey-o! :P

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

No specific goals here other than to keep learning stuff, brewing, drinking, and enjoying it. 

I probably would.  My first Pils is about ready to keg and there should be plenty of yeast to harvest.  I really haven't done many lagers but some mods to the AC will let me do it now.

#17 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

I hope to someday make lagers. My goals are to re-make some brews i made in the past (larger scale) . Patersbier,and  Scottish Ale of some sort again,and a Barleywine. If i could bottle some for a time i would be happy with those goals.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

First thing to do is get water, soda, Gatorade or apple juice bottles, fill them with water and freeze them so you can drop them in the water and keep the temp close to 50. You may have other ways to do this or maybe you already have a cool spot. Remember that lager yeast likes it consistent so a garage in the winter is not going to cut it... not for primary. The temp swings are too much from day to night. I made a lot of good lagers in a swamp bucket so I'm thinking you guys could do this. Or... just spring for a new dorm fridge and then it's lagers year round! Hey-o! :P

Yeah right now my bucket wants to be about 56F if I do nothing to heat or cool it. I think I could drop it another few degrees if I put it by the walkout door. There is no shortage of ice making ability here right now and I am usually around often enough to monitor it. So do you want to do a group lager Ken? I'll start a new post.

#19 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

This past year was able to dial in the mild recipe. Next up, perfect the session IPA.

Need to convert to electric, organize the brewery and get a mead schedule going.

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm down. I've got some Heidelberg malt I want to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users