#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

So I plan on brewing a clone of my fav IPA from a local brewery. I have emailed them and this is the info they gave me for the hops. I think I have a hop schedule figured out I want to go with but the thing that is throwing me off is it seems there saying that dry-hopping has an impact on IBU's. Unless I'm not understanding it correctly. What do you guys think?

Hops:Jade, Citra, Cascade. Pretty much a combo all of three throughout the boil (totaling 105 BUs (including DryHops).Also, DryHopped with all three.

1st Addition @1st Wort: Citra (about 10% of total BUs)2nd Addition: 15 min into boil (90min boil): Jade about 15% of total BUs)3rd Addition: 70min into boil: Jade, Citra (Combo of about 35% of BUs)4th Addition: 80min into boil: Citra (about 10% of total BUs)5th Addition: @Whirlpool/End of Boil: Cascade/Citra (Combo of about 10% of BUs)DryHopping: Citra, Cascade, Jade (Combo of about 20% of total BUs)

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

Seems pretty clear to me. They gave you % instead of AAU, which is good. Shouldn't be too hard to lay that out. You have the total IBU's so the rest is just knowing your AAU's of the hops and playing with it.

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Not to be a number nerd, but it would be helpful to know which formula they used to calculate that.  At that level the Rager and Tinseth (or Garetz for that matter) formulas will give you significantly different numbers. Without knowing, I would assume Rager.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Seems pretty clear to me. They gave you % instead of AAU, which is good. Shouldn't be too hard to lay that out. You have the total IBU's so the rest is just knowing your AAU's of the hops and playing with it.

I get that, but there saying the total IBU is 105 including dryhops. I was unaware that dryhops led to any impact on IBU. At least in Promash they don't.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

I get that, but there saying the total IBU is 105 including dryhops. I was unaware that dryhops led to any impact on IBU. At least in Promash they don't.

I know they said that the IBU amount was with the DH but I would omit that and just come up with your own DH amounts and just use the 105 IBU to calculate the kettle additions.

#6 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

I know they said that the IBU amount was with the DH but I would omit that and just come up with your own DH amounts and just use the 105 IBU to calculate the kettle additions.

Thats what I ended up doing for the most part. This is the line that confused me the most so I just took that 20% and distributed it other places.

DryHopping: Citra, Cascade, Jade (Combo of about 20% of total BUs)

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Thats what I ended up doing for the most part. This is the line that confused me the most so I just took that 20% and distributed it other places.

If it was me I would have thrown it in teh 4th addition. 

What beer is this by the way? 

#8 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

If it was me I would have thrown it in teh 4th addition. 

What beer is this by the way? 

Foothills Jade IPA, best IPA in NC IMHO.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thinking of something like this. That's about 97IBU. That's close I think, easier to weigh out.

.5oz Citra at first wort.5oz Pacific Jade at 75 minutes1 oz Citra at 20 minutes1 oz Pacific Jade at 20 minutes1 oz Citra at 10 minutes1 oz Cascade Whirlpool1 oz Citra WhirlpoolDry hops: 1oz Pacific Jade, 1oz Citra, 1oz Cascade

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

so are they saying the amounts they used in dry hopping are 20% of the amount that was used in the kettle additions, but all IBUS are calculated from the kettle additions? 

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

anyone else have the mission impossible theme in their head while reading these posts?

#12 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

so are they saying the amounts they used in dry hopping are 20% of the amount that was used in the kettle additions, but all IBUS are calculated from the kettle additions? 

Good question.

anyone else have the mission impossible theme in their head while reading these posts?

Well I do now <_<

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Foothills Jade IPA, best IPA in NC IMHO.

Thanks,

Never had that or anything with Pacific Jade.  Sounds interesting.  Follow up if you make this

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks,

Never had that or anything with Pacific Jade.  Sounds interesting.  Follow up if you make this

Will do, making it tomorrow. They also use 1968 in it, I have never used this yeast before.

They actually only keg this beer. So if you've had it then its been at a bar or there taproom in NC. Although I have heard they are going to start bottling it in 22oz. bombers.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Not to be a number nerd, but it would be helpful to know which formula they used to calculate that.  At that level the Rager and Tinseth (or Garetz for that matter) formulas will give you significantly different numbers. Without knowing, I would assume Rager.

I'm pretty certain that almost all commercial breweries use Tinseth.  Rager is geared to partial boils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users