208 replies to this topic

#81 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

We certainly seemed to have something very similar in mind. My recipe isn't a classic Alt recipe, more of a "in the style of" recipe.

The tricks to an Alt, IMO is that it should be malty but dry (I shoot for an FG of 1.008-1.010 from an OG of 1.048), a solid, but not over the top bitterness (I like 30-40 IBUs for that OG), a mild, but noticeable noble hop character. A very subtle roast from a couple ounces of Roasted Wheat or Carafa Special isn't out of character.

1007 is the best yeast, but it is a pain to drop out. I've learned to use WLP011 as a nice substitute, and it drops clear like a British yeast. However, you need to be careful with recipe and mash schedule to make sure it reaches that critical dryness; don't Americanize the OG, use very little to no Crystal Malt, and mash low (149F works for me).

Always good information. I'm going to keep all this in mind and make an alt one of these days. Other summer beers are lined up now but I would think one of these would be quite nice for when fall just starts to kick in. Which around here is in September. 

#82 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

I have been messing around trying to post these pics but I have no idea how to post them from my phone.Eta It will be fantastic in an alt

#83 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Interesting Red X info from Best...

httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18327.msg246286#msg246286

#84 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

That 6 barrels of beer was extremely popular, sold it all in about a week by the pint only at the pub.  I will probably rebrew shortly 

#85 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

That is some good info right there Denny!  Thanks for that link!  I was higher than 1.050, I think it was about 1.060 IIRC.  The beer was heavily dry hopped and unfiltered, although I did hit it with finings.  It wasn't prefectly clear, and I can see why Best advises the clearest beer possible.  I will be using this stuff regularly from now on though, I can tell you that much.  Even without the color, the flavor is fantastic. 

#86 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Finally getting around to posting this. I got some red color but it is fairly dark. Not the best picture either, had some condensation going on. I had a OG of 1.066. Next time I think I will add some pils and lower the OG. But the taste of this malt is great! No problems there. I went with a bunch of Mosaic hops, 1450 for the yeast and it made a really great beer!

Posted Image

Forgot the pic.

Edited by matt6150, 29 May 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#87 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

I am rebrewing my smash next week.  That beer was awesome

#88 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

I am rebrewing my smash next week. That beer was awesome

I sorta have a smash going now. I added a few pellets of Magnum for cheap bittering other wise it's all Red X and Motueka pitched with the WY VSS Farmhouse.

#89 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

So what do you guys think of that pic? Thinking of cutting in some pils to lighten the beer up to more of a bright red instead of a dark red?

#90 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

So what do you guys think of that pic? Thinking of cutting in some pils to lighten the beer up to more of a bright red instead of a dark red?

I think there is a color threshold somewhere. A buddy did a 50/50 Red X/Wheat and the color was about the same as my 100% Red X.

#91 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

I think there is a color threshold somewhere. A buddy did a 50/50 Red X/Wheat and the color was about the same as my 100% Red X.

Uh, so just lower OG then? I'm seriously at a loss in making a red beer. I have tried a lot of recipes, always comes out amberish. I just want something nice and bright red.

#92 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

Uh, so just lower OG then? I'm seriously at a loss in making a red beer. I have tried a lot of recipes, always comes out amberish. I just want something nice and bright red.

the Best Malz post earlier said not to exceed 1.050 worth of starting gravity from red-x to achieve the best color

#93 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

the Best Malz post earlier said not to exceed 1.050 worth of starting gravity from red-x to achieve the best color

Missed that part, fwiw my gravity sample in the running's thread was a 1.050 OG. 

#94 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yeah I did see that, will shoot for that next.

#95 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Running off right now, it is super red and smells fantastic

#96 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

BiktRe, so how is this 'Saison' going along?  Just plain curious.  I've been thinking about 10# Red X a little Munich and WLP 565 (DuPont). Hops choices undetermined.  I have some Suavin I need to use tho.

#97 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

BiktRe, so how is this 'Saison' going along?  Just plain curious.  I've been thinking about 10# Red X a little Munich and WLP 565 (DuPont). Hops choices undetermined.  I have some Suavin I need to use tho.

Kegging it today actually....will report back

#98 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Here is my Red X Smash Saison.

Posted Image

#99 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Finally getting around to posting this. I got some red color but it is fairly dark. Not the best picture either, had some condensation going on. I had a OG of 1.066. Next time I think I will add some pils and lower the OG. But the taste of this malt is great! No problems there. I went with a bunch of Mosaic hops, 1450 for the yeast and it made a really great beer!

Posted Image

Forgot the pic.

I drank quite a bit of your beer this past weekend. You did a good job.

#100 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

I drank quite a bit of your beer this past weekend. You did a good job.

Well actually the beer in the pic isn't the one I brought to Mashout. The one in the pic is 100% Red X. The one at Mashout was 75% Red X 25% Rye. But thanks, it was pretty good. I will have to get a pic of that one and get it posted. Not really the color I was looking for though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users