#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

I've been wanting to brew another Rye beer since last year when I made the community brew.  So last week I finally got around to it last week.  The Mt Hoods were  a game time substitution.  I was going to use some delta leaf that I had but when I opened the bag I got a blast of cheese funk.  Needless to say they went in the trash.

11 gallons

OG 1.050

IBU 52

14 lbs CMC Pale Ale Malt

5 lbs Rye Malt

1 lb Dingman's Aromatic

8 oz Dingman's Cara 20

8 oz Muntons Dark Crystal C150

1 oz Columbus 15.8% AA 60 min

1 oz Centennial 10.0% AA 15 min

1 oz Mt. Hood 5.7% AA 15 min

1 oz Centennial 10.0% AA 5 min

2 oz Mt. Hood 5.7% AA 5 min

1 oz Centennial 175dF Whirlpool Addition

1 oz Columbus 175dF Whirlpool Addition

1 oz Citra 175dF Whirlpool Addition

1 oz Simcoe 175dF Whirlpool Addition

1 Whirfloc Tablet @ 15 min

5.5 gallons fermented with 1099 Whitbread Ale

5.5 gallons fermented with 1450 Denny's Favorite

Both are fermenting between 63-64dF in swamp coolers.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Should make for an interesting yeast comparison.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Personally, I hate English yeasts for rye beers.  To me, the esters clash with the rye.  Others might disagree.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Personally, I hate English yeasts for rye beers.  To me, the esters clash with the rye.  Others might disagree.

well thank you kitty, don't mind if I do!

I've only used rye in american PA/IPA type beers as well as a roggenbier.  i think an english strain could work but it would have to be the right one.  for instance I find S-04 can be reasonbly clean if you keep it slightly cool.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

It almost seems like you have an aversion toward English strains.... :stabby:

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

It almost seems like you have an aversion toward English strains.... :stabby:

I think he has stated that on several occasions.

#7 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I have yet to bottle the 1099 half, hopefully this weekend.  However, I have had the opportunity to try the 1450 half carbed and it's nice.  That 175dF addition is awesome.  This is a nice beer.  I'll have to get a pic up.  I hit this with some polyclar and it is CLEAR like Ken Lenard Clear.  :D

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I have yet to bottle the 1099 half, hopefully this weekend.  However, I have had the opportunity to try the 1450 half carbed and it's nice.  That 175dF addition is awesome.  This is a nice beer.  I'll have to get a pic up.  I hit this with some polyclar and it is CLEAR like Ken Lenard Clear.  :D

Good to hear. The 175F whirlpool is long lasting too. The first beer I used it on in August 2012 still has tons of hop flavor. It lost much of the resiny character but still tastes very hoppy.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I think he has stated that on several occasions.

Yeah, I keep trying but I haven't found one I REALLY like.  1968 can be OK and 1469 has impressed me.  But none of them seem right for the beers I brew.  As I said, it's a personal opinion.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

That's been my impression as well.  I thought it would be great - major disappointment.  I'll have to look at my notes to see what yeast I used.

#11 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Good to hear. The 175F whirlpool is long lasting too. The first beer I used it on in August 2012 still has tons of hop flavor. It lost much of the resiny character but still tastes very hoppy.

Mine is still resiny.  This is the first beer that I have seen a HUGE difference in using this technique.

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Mine is still resiny. This is the first beer that I have seen a HUGE difference in using this technique.

Mine was resiny for a few months before it began to lessen. Its still great at over 1 year old. I still have a few bottles left.

Edited by chils, 14 September 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#13 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ok, I just finished bottling the 1099 half.  It finished at 1.016 compared to the 1450 that finished at 1.012.  The grav sample definately showed an ester but did not seem cloying.  I'm interested on how this turns out. 

#14 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

My brother and brother in law both enjoyed this beer thoroughly last weekend with me.  We drank entirely too much of it but that gives me an excuse to brew right?

Well, Denny was right the half fermented with 1450 is a better beer.  The 1099 is fruity and it seems to conflict with the citrusy hops.  It's still good but definately not as good as the 1450.  If I was to describe the difference between the two is that the 1450 half is a balance of spicy malty and citrus hops and the 1099 is muddled with all of the before mentioned and fruity esters.  I'm very happy with what I brewed but I do not think I would use an English strain again.  I could see 1056/1272/Pacman working well here as well.  Actually I would use one English strain, 002/1968 and ferment cold on this I think because that strain cold accents the malt and is very clean, IMO. 

On a side note, I  cold crashed the 1450 half and hit it with some polyclar.  This beer was Ken Lenard clear.  Hopefully I can get a picture of it up.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

when i started brewing i was more into english styles.  now it's mostly american and german for what i make.  if i buy anything it's usually belgian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users