11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54054 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Gang: I have a local supplier that is convenient for me to stop into. They sell prepackaged grain that is very fresh (they used to sell it precrushed but no longer) and their selection is pretty good for specialty grains and base grains as well. They have Rahr pale malt and Pale Ale which is fine. They have some "UK Pale Malt" that is made by "Paul's Malt" which sounds a little "offbrand". The Munich 10L they carry is by Cargill and the Vienna they carry is by Briess. Does anyone have any experience with these? The UK Pale Malt has actually made some fine beers. If I am going to use a high percentage of Munich or Vienna, it's usually Weyermann but my supply is running low on those and the "offbrand" stuff is all I have left at the moment. I remember Denny mentioning something like Briess Munich 20 which he said was dreadful in high percentages. Thoughts?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Paul's is not an off-brand at all. Very good maltster. I wouldn't use the Cargill or Briess though. Unless it's changed recently Briess Munich & Vienna is made from 6-row and is very harsh and grainy. Hold out for some Best, Weyermann or something Belgian like MFB.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

IIRC, I've used Cargill Munich and it was pretty good. Unless Briess specifically says "2 row", it's pretty likely it's 6 row and I'd avoid it.

#4 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I use Canadian malts all the time and have great luck with them.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Gang: I have a local supplier that is convenient for me to stop into. They sell prepackaged grain that is very fresh (they used to sell it precrushed but no longer) and their selection is pretty good for specialty grains and base grains as well. They have Rahr pale malt and Pale Ale which is fine. They have some "UK Pale Malt" that is made by "Paul's Malt" which sounds a little "offbrand". The Munich 10L they carry is by Cargill and the Vienna they carry is by Briess. Does anyone have any experience with these? The UK Pale Malt has actually made some fine beers. If I am going to use a high percentage of Munich or Vienna, it's usually Weyermann but my supply is running low on those and the "offbrand" stuff is all I have left at the moment. I remember Denny mentioning something like Briess Munich 20 which he said was dreadful in high percentages. Thoughts?

Ken, it was Gambrinus Munich 20.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54054 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ah, that was it. I remember you used it as a good part of the grain bill and you weren't impressed... to say the least.Here's the thing... I have some beers coming up where the Vienna will be more of a focal point and I have some others where the Vienna will be in more of a supporting role. I have a Mexican Dark Lager coming up over the weekend (6 lbs Durst Pils, 2 lbs Vienna, some flaked corn, CaraMunich and debittered black malt) and I'm thinking this may be the type of beer where I could "hide" these malts. This beer will be around SRM 14-15, IBUs in the mid-20s, about 5%. Denny, I did look on the Briess website and it does say that their Vienna is made from "Select 6-row varieties". Do you see me being able to bury it in a beer like this? It's about 20% of the grain bill. I do have Weyermann too but just enough for some beers coming up where the Vienna will be closer to 50% of the grain bill. Thanks for the info on the Cargill Munich... I have 15 lbs of the stuff.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Persoanlly, I've had enough bad luck with 6 row that I wouldn't do it. 6 row has its place, of course, but IMO it isn't in Vienna or Munich.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

defiantly more of an Aromatic or similar specialty, not a base grain, it can make a nice addition in small percentages to malty styles though

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

defiantly more of an Aromatic or similar specialty, not a base grain, it can make a nice addition in small percentages to malty styles though

No doubt. My mistake was using it for a majority of the grist.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

No doubt. My mistake was using it for a majority of the grist.

I know someone here made a Wee Heavy from 100 % of it and loved it

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I know someone here made a Wee Heavy from 100 % of it and loved it

Really? Hard to imagine.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Really? Hard to imagine.

by here I meant online, one of the members here or the old greenboardnot willing to duplicate said brew myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users