20 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I've come up with the following recipe but I don't haven't done a lot of this. Tried to find a good hop combination/schedule but I am open-minded here. I also have some centennial, cascade, EKG, and Magnum on hand. The goal was to keep the gravity pretty sessionable but very hop forward and tasty. This will be consumed young. Any and all input welcome. Thanks. 6.25gal OG 1.049 IBU 38 (Rager) ABV 4.8% 83% efficiency Mash@153F 60min boil 80% American 2-row 10% Light Munich 5% C40 5% Golden Naked Oats 1.0oz. Simcoe (FWH) .75oz. Simcoe@15min. .5oz. Citra@15min. .5oz. Simcoe@5min. .5oz. Citra@5min. .5oz. Simcoe 175F whirlpool for 20min. .5oz. Citra 175F whirlpool for 20min. 1.0oz. Amarillo 175F whirlpool for 20min. 1.0oz. Simcoe (dry) 1.0oz. Amarillo (dry) 1.0oz. Citra (dry) US-05

Edited by ettels4, 25 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#2 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I say make it! I think you are going to get where you want with this. The oats will add a what is that variable possibly but I would like to try it! :D

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I think the hop bill looks good. I have never used the golden naked oats but I think you will get a nice contribution to the mouth-feel fromthat. Because of the oats I may mash a bit lower, closer to 151, but that is just because I like my APA's and IPA's to be on teh dry side. I agree with John and say brew it.

#4 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

That beer will be delicious! My bros and I made a "session IPA" with: 100% Maris Otter to 1.045 (Tmash = 150F) 7 g Apollo at 60 1 oz each Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe at whirlpool 1 oz each Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe DH for 5 days BRY-97, 65-68F FG: 1.010 Awesome mango, passion fruit, peach, orange, pineapple, floral, and pine flavors and aromas. It won't last long.

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

This is what Northern Brewer says about Golden Naked Oats

10° L. This unique product has a sweet berry-nut flavor. Used at a rate of 4-15% to add a deep golden hue, light caramel flavors, and a creamy, satiny finish.

If I see them in the shop, I will have to try them in my next recipe.

#6 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

I use golden naked outs in a couple of my beers. I'd say the NB description is pretty accurate. The sweetness isn't as intense as crystal barley malts IMO. Beach

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Finally brewed this today. I was waiting to figure out what to do with my water. Slight change in the hop bill and gravity. OG 1.047 39 IBUs 1.25oz Simcoe FWH .5oz Simcoe @10 .5oz Citra @10 .5oz Simcoe @5 .5oz Citra @5 .75oz Simcoe 170F post flameout for 15 min. 1.0oz Citra 170F post flameout for 15 min. 1.0oz Amarillo 170F post flameout for 15 min. -Will get dry hopped with 1.0oz each, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo Ca-89 Mg-11 Na-25 Sulfate-195 Cl-37

#8 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Looks good. I was inspired by your recipe and ordered me some Golden Naked Oats for my next brew. I have never bought ingredients on line before, but none of the 4 LHBS within my scope of travel had them. And I had to have Golden Naked Oats.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Looks good.

I was inspired by your recipe and ordered me some Golden Naked Oats for my next brew. I have never bought ingredients on line before, but none of the 4 LHBS within my scope of travel had them. And I had to have Golden Naked Oats.

Have any plans yet for how you intend to use them? This is my first run with them as well.

Im an hour from the nearest homebrew shop so I order almost exclusively online. Add to it that I don't mill my own (yet) ...makes planning paramount.

#10 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Have any plans yet for how you intend to use them? This is my first run with them as well.

Im an hour from the nearest homebrew shop so I order almost exclusively online. Add to it that I don't mill my own (yet) ...makes planning paramount.

I am going to include them in a sorta strong brown ale. 1.074 OG, pale malt, brown malt, amber malt, chocolate malt and 2 lbs of Golden Naked Oats. The yeast will be Wyeast 1318 London III. One of my favorite yeasts. Probably ~35 IBU of EKG hops, low flavor and aroma additions.

I am lucky, I got LHBS north, south and west of me. One of them is MoreBeer, so getting most things is easy and Williams Brewing is a couple cities north of me, so everything from then is next day. The refuse to have will call service, they insist on shipping everything.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ok, so help me turn this one around. My goal here is to dry hop this as per the schedule above and have this kegged and ready to serve by Thursday 2/21. If it is good it will likely be gone in about 3-4 days. I brewed it on 2/5. Today is day 6 in primary and it has been done for a few days. My plan is to cold crash the primary for a few days and then dry hop (loose pellets) for 3 days at room temp and crash again before kegging and force carbing. Would you. 1. Follow my plan. 2. Crash for a few days, keg & force carb, then dry hop (bag in keg) 3 days prior to serving. 3. Some other method. 4. Forget it, this wont be ready and taste good by 2/21. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Don't crash after primary, dry hop for 3 days and then cold crash.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Don't crash after primary, dry hop for 3 days and then cold crash.

Clarity. Not really sure why I was going to cold crash twice.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

FG1.010 5.0%ABV Dry hopped tonight.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Ok so here's how this came out.

After the dry hop this was kegged and keg hopped with another ounce each of Amarillo and Citra. A sampling of this the next day was interesting to say the least. Tasted like someone mixed in a couple gallons of fresh squeezed bitter white grapefruit juice. Totally undrinkable.

One week in the fridge later... this was pretty good. I like the grapefruity hoppy flavors quite a bit but they can be over the top. This one was bordering too much but really pretty good. The aroma was like you just opened a bag of pellets and put your head in. I like that. Bitterness was smooth and right where I like it. Hop flavor was crisp but not as brightly flavored (if that makes sense) as I would have liked. There was much less hop flavor with the beer on my tongue than in the finish. I can't describe this adequately but its just missing something when the beer is in my mouth. The hops were grapefruity and resiny on the finish and that lasted a long time on the tongue which I really liked. The beer was smooth and had a nice moderate body to it. That was something I wanted. Everyone who tried this, myself included, agreed that this was way too dry. (FG1.010) The malt is nearly completely lost here. There is very little to carry the amount of hops present. Seems obvious in retrospect when I look at the recipe... live and learn.

So changes I need to make for V.2 and please throw in some suggestions...

1. Less dry. Either mash hotter, more crystal, or less attenuative yeast? Or all of these. Perhaps this will give more flavor to the malt and the hops. Something for the big hop finish to ride on.

2. More malt character. Maybe switch to C60. Also I have heard that Carastan has more character than your typical C40, could go that route.

3. Switch the hopping a little? Move a little from the whirlpool to the late boil? Maybe dump some of the Citra for something less grapefruity. Suggestions? Centennial, colombus, cascade, more simcoe, others? Maybe do nothing to the hops and see how they react to the changes in the grain bill and attenuation changes.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Ok so here is my next attempt at this. I dropped the gravity from the first version. In consideration of that I am going with the following malt bill to make sure it has enough body and character for the low gravity and large hop bill. Again the goals here are sessionable, hoppy and tasty. Thoughts? 6 Gal. OG 1.042 IBU 37 (Rager) ABV (est) 4.1% Efficiency 80% Mash @ 150 for 60min. 60 min boil 71% 2-Row 9% Victory 9% Golden Naked Oats 6% C15 6% C40 1.0oz. Simcoe (13%) FWH .75oz. Simcoe (13%) @10 .75oz. Amarillo (9.3%) @10 .5oz. Columbus (14.6%) @10 1.25oz. Simcoe post flameout @170F for 20min 1.25oz.Amarillo post flameout @170F for 20min .5oz. Columbus post flameout @170F for 20min 1oz Simcoe dry hop 1oz. Amarillo dry hop 1oz. Columbus dry hop

Edited by ettels4, 27 April 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Me and my boys have been sick all week so I'm behind. Finally brewed this today. Mashed @154F for 75min instead of 150 for 60min. Hit my OG dead on. Hit my pH @5.3-5.4 as estimated. Used distilled water with salts added to get Ca-94, Na-20, SO4-165, Cl-77 60sec. O2 Pitched a starter of WY1272 @65F. Happy pants. Now on to the BB Community Saison.

Edited by ettels4, 04 May 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Finished @ 1.011. Changed the dry hop to 1oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. This was kegged a few days ago and from that sample it seems this is going to have a lot of flavor for a 4% beer. Simcoe and Amarillo come through nicely with a noticeable dose of columbus in there that adds a nice depth to the hopping. Depending on how the hops come through after carbonation it may get another ounce or two of keg hops. Can't wait to try it.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Wow am I happy with this. If anyone is looking for a recipe for a highly flavorful session beer give this a try. Tastes far bigger than its 4.0% abv. It has huge resinous citrus and pine hop flavor and aroma and plenty of body to go with and thick merengue-like head that lasts forever. Much improved over the first iteration. I will nit-pick this until the end of the keg but if you ask me now there is not one thing I would change about this. This is why I started brewing my own.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

This keg kicked a few days ago. With all the talk of sessionable IPAs and such I thought I would update. Wow. This was a fantastic beer. I don't know if I will change anything about it. The hops were perfect for my tastes. It was nice and crisp and extremely refreshing for this time of year. We much preferred it to Founder's All-Day IPA and I am a fan of that beer. I guess I may try 1450 just for grins or even 1968 if I made this in the cooler months. There was plenty of body here despite the low OG. If you are looking to make one of these sessionable beers with a lot of hop punch and flavor you can start here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users