#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

I am now in the market for a new burner thanks to the neighbor... I've been looking and I want to get something nicer than what I had. I've narrowed it down to these two but I can't get any real info on BTUs, all I have are dimensions and high and low pressure regulators. Do any of you use either of these and what are your thoughts good/bad/indifferent. I want some thoughts other than my own on these.Posted ImagePosted ImageI typically brew 6 gallon batches with the occasional 11 gallon batch. I use a keggle as a brew pot.

Edited by johnpreuss, 11 December 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I use the top one. Works just fine for me. I also use a keggle and it fits on top very nicely and solid. I don't know the BTU either but works good for my 5.5 gal. batches. Not to sure about the 11 gallon and how long it would take to boil, but the bottom one looks bigger.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I will add that I've had it now for 6 years and still in good shape and works like new and I use the crap out of it more than just brewing.

#4 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I have the top one (sq-14) works just fine. I do 10 gallon batches and it gets the job done.Beach

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

I have the top one (sq-14) works just fine. I do 10 gallon batches and it gets the job done.Beach

yeup! probably not as fast as some but I bet it uses less propane.

#6 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10679 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

yeup! probably not as fast as some but I bet it uses less propane.

Put me in with these two. Love my square. 5 and 10 gallon batches.

#7 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Put me in with these two. Love my square. 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Another vote, same story. Converted keg, 5 & 10 gal batches, works just fine.

#8 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Where can you buy them still?I cant find them locally at my home depot / lowes.

#9 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10679 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Where can you buy them still?I cant find them locally at my home depot / lowes.

Amazon and the big online homebrew stores (Midwest suppiles, Morebeer, Northernbrewer) sell them. I can't offer muc advice on a local non internet store. Got mine at the depot a few years ago..

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I use the SQ14. I have 2, 1 for the HLT and one for the BK. They work fine. I do 10 gallons batches all the time. I do wish I had a slightly bigger burner though. If you could combine the second burner with the SQ14 frame that would be ideal for 10 gallon batches. The SQ14 frame is very sturdy. You can get the SQ 14 at homedepot.com only usually. About $50 I think.

#11 DaveS

DaveS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

The top one is for (and is equipped with) a low pressure regulator. By law or code, they are silver or gray. I think it puts out about 50,000 BTU. The bottom one has a high pressure (red) regulator and will pump out about 100,000 BTU. I had one of the big ones and it would probably boil 25 gallons in short order. It needs to be throttled way back after the wort comes to a boil. One thing I found with the bigger burner was that it used so much propane, the pressure drop in the tank would cause frost to form below the gas line and then the pressure would drop off. I ended up setting the tank in a tub of warm water and replenished it periodically. I finally converted my burners to NG to eliminate the need to make runs for propane refills and eliminate the possibility of running out during a boil.

#12 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have the bottom one. It does eat through the propane, but my biggest complaint is that it seems to have too much space between the kettle and the actual burner. If I were to do it again, I'd buy Blichmann Floor Burner. It appears to be the same burner, but sturdier stand and less distance between the burner and the kettle.

#13 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

https://www.webstaur...CFUxxQgodWFUA_A

#14 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

RODUCT DESCRIPTIONThis Bayou Classic outdoor patio stove is a revolution in outdoor cooking. This unit far surpasses the same tired backyard grill. It offers the widest range of cooking options, operating from a bare simmer to a blast flame. Portable, yet strong enough to accommodate any size stockpot, fryer/steamer, cast iron cookware, or griddle. The square frame design incorporates the windscreen as the supporting structure. This innovation greatly increases the strength.
  • Large 16 in. X 16 in. Cooking surface
  • 10 psi regulator
  • Heavy gauge welded steel frame
  • No assembly required
  • Preassembled unit only connects LP hose to burner and propane tank
  • Perfect choice for all types of outdoor cooking
  • Portable enough for camps, rv's, tailgating, and backyards
  • MFG Brand Name : Bayou Classic
  • MFG Model # : SQ14
  • MFG Part # : SQ14
Return To Top SPECIFICATIONS ANSI Certified No Assembled Depth (in.) 16.39 in Assembled Height (in.) 13.75 in Assembled Width (in.) 19.93 in CSA Listed No Color Family Black ETL Listed No Fryer size (qt.) 0 Fuel Type Propane Heat thermometer included No Ignition Type Manual Manufacturer Warranty 1 Year NSF Listed No Product Depth (in.) 16 Product Height (in.) 13 Product Weight (lb.) 18 Product Width (in.) 16 Returnable 90-Day Strainer Basket Included No Thermostatic Control No Timer Included No Total BTU 55000 Btu UL Listed N-No UL Code Rating

Edited by bigdaddyale, 12 December 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#15 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have the bottom one. It does eat through the propane, but my biggest complaint is that it seems to have too much space between the kettle and the actual burner. If I were to do it again, I'd buy Blichmann Floor Burner. It appears to be the same burner, but sturdier stand and less distance between the burner and the kettle.

One of our club members complains about the same thing. He doesn't like it.

#16 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

https://www.webstaur...CFUxxQgodWFUA_A

My old one had the same burner, just different frame. I changed out the 10 psi regulator with a 0-60 adjustable regulator. Used far too much propane, actually messed with the pressure of the tank quite badly.

#17 DaveS

DaveS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

My old one had the same burner, just different frame. I changed out the 10 psi regulator with a 0-60 adjustable regulator. Used far too much propane, actually messed with the pressure of the tank quite badly.

Be careful when changing from a low pressure regulator to high. Most burners are designed for either low or high pressure and should be used with the proper regulator. Logic tells us that if more BTU's are needed, the answer is to simply pump in more propane. It's not necessarily true.

#18 HbgBill

HbgBill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationN.Calif

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I bought a Brinkmann Model # 815-4005-S Internet # 202038918 Store SKU # 313884 from Home Depot. it's the same price as their HiPressure BayouClassic.. but puts out WAY more BTU's. I also have an old turkey fryer stove that I use for my HLT cuz it doesn't have to get up to a boil. That one is just too slow.. especially on a windy day.I was going to post a link.. but, I'll have to figure that out.. doesn't work quite as easy as some I've used. :(

#19 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

One of our club members complains about the same thing. He doesn't like it.

I actually saw a thread somewhere that someone had modified the burner by chopping down the stands and reconnecting them (welded?) back to the burner but so that the kettle sat much closer to the flame. They loved the burner after they did that. I guess I just need to find a shop to do this for me.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Second one for me, love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users