#1 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10743 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm thinking of brewing a pale ale or american IPA on saturday and the only yeast I have is a slurry of Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. I would plan to ferment toward to cold side of this yeast range, anyone have any feedback in using this yeast with american C hops?

#2 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'll be pitching DussAlt (WLP 0036) in a 56 IBU APA I brewed today. I will be very interested in the results you get with the Kolsh yeast. I am curious about how the Alt and the Kolcsh yeast will interact with all those hops. Please report back.

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10743 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

I was hoping on getting some advice before I go forward and maybe waste a batch. Worst case I'll get some yeast and brew some other day.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

I've made hoppy beers with 1007 (WLP036) before. Don't dry hop until it's cleared. The yeast will drop all of the hop aroma and some flavor out when it clears. It will taste great until then. Kolsch will be the same way.

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

RDWHAHB it will be beer, and most likely a great beer that you formulated.

Edited by realbeerguy, 23 November 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I brewed an APA with 2565 several months ago. Centennial and Citra which I though played well the the yeast - about 60 IBUs. I was pleased with it.

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10743 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

okay we'll see how it goes thenthanks

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10743 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

JUst reporting back to show that eventually I would follow up. I missed Thanksgiving weekend, but got it brewed the following weekend. Just finished primary and I added dry hops. I didn't grab a taste but it smelled real good. I'll start cold crashing mid-week and will hope to keg next weekend. The 4 batches with this pack of yeast all behaved the same. Took off well and after a couple days appears to be done and then something kicked in again and threw a new couple inches of krausen. I hope this works well so I can have a house yeast for kolsch and apa/ipa beers.

#9 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

There was an episode on Basic Brewing Radio a long while back where they ran a yeast experiment with I think either an APA or an IPA to compare yeasts, and the surprise favorite of everyone was the Kolsch -- it was the best by a landslide. Unfortunately, I don't recall offhand whether this was the White Labs or the Wyeast version, and I know the two brands have two totally different yeast strains. But either way I do think you'll have a great beer with Kolsch yeast. Maybe even spectacular. Keep us posted.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

The Wyeast Kolsch is a great yeast, very clean except some light fruit notes of pear. The only problem with using it is that it is intended to be lagered (cold conditioned) to drop it clear, and it will be clear as a bell. Because the yeast stays in suspension a little longer it strips some of the hop character out of the beer and promotes malt flavor. You can counter this by dry hopping after the beer clears. I would go bigger on the flavor additions and save the aroma for dry hoppping, maybe a whirlpool hop too. Any hop aroma will overpower the delicate esters this yeasts make. It's supposed to be for a delicate beer anyway.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I forgot about O'Fallon brewery. Last time I checked Kolsch yeast was the only yeast used there. I think the make some fine beers.https://www.ofallonb....com/index.html

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Because the yeast stays in suspension a little longer it strips some of the hop character out of the beer and promotes malt flavor.

this is often repeated to the point of being fact but is it? I have a beer I made with 1007 that until some of the yeast dropped out I found it hard to pick out much hoppy goodness. the yeast seemed to mask it more than anything.

#13 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10743 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

I just moved this to the keg yesterday. It sat in a cold (35-40 degree) garage for over a week to clear. Small taste while transferring was pretty good. I'm glad I did it as a kolsch/IPA rotation for the summer would be great.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

this is often repeated to the point of being fact but is it? I have a beer I made with 1007 that until some of the yeast dropped out I found it hard to pick out much hoppy goodness. the yeast seemed to mask it more than anything.

I'm going off of personal experience with the yeast and some quips from Jamil and Palmer. I made a pale ale with 1007 and it was beautiful until it cleared. Then all I could get was the bittering and flavor additions. The aroma dropped out by about 90% of where it was. A big part of taste is aroma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users