46 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Finally got around to using this in a beer. Not sure I will be buying anymore though. So far it is taking a lot longer to clear than S-05/WLP001/1056 ever did and it was a real slow starter for me. There is also a weird situation in the beer where it seems some of the yeast has settled a couple of inches but that is all, you can see a striation in the carboy. Going to gel the beer tonight so that I can get the dryhops added.I know a few others out there have used it, how have your experiances been?

Edited by drez77, 21 November 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

I did one batch of an IPA with it. It was also a slow starter for me as well. It was a pretty heavy hopped IPA with some wheat in there so I wasn't to concearned with clarity. Really didn't have a bad experience with it, may try it again.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

may try it again.

Did you re-hydrate it or just dump it in? I just dumped this time. I have one more pack that I may try with an American Stout but I will re-hydrate it this time.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Getting ready to use it for the first time Fri on two different beers. Its supposed to be a heavy floccer so it seems to me something is awry. Rehydration, pitch rate etc.....

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

this yeast sounds like it would be good. hopefully this was just a fluke...

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Getting ready to use it for the first time Fri on two different beers. Its supposed to be a heavy floccer so it seems to me something is awry. Rehydration, pitch rate etc.....

Curiuous to hear how it works for you. I wanted to make the beer the same way I made it the last time with S-05 that is why I just dumped it in. This batch may be cursed!

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Curiuous to hear how it works for you. I wanted to make the beer the same way I made it the last time with S-05 that is why I just dumped it in. This batch may be cursed!

I always tell myself I should just dump dry yeast in but I always wuss out at the last minute and rehydrate in boiled, 100F water.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

I always tell myself I should just dump dry yeast in but I always wuss out at the last minute and rehydrate in boiled, 100F water.

I am bad with dried yeast, most of the time I just dump. If I am worried, I use 2 packages. Wrong I know.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

I am bad with dried yeast, most of the time I just dump. If I am worried, I use 2 packages. Wrong I know.

I don't think it's wrong unless you are pushing the limits of what one packet can handle and then yes, you can just dump in two. It's just a matter of how many viable cells you want to get out of the packet I guess.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I don't think it's wrong unless you are pushing the limits of what one packet can handle and then yes, you can just dump in two. It's just a matter of how many viable cells you want to get out of the packet I guess.

Like I said. I think this strain needs more of a pitch rate than just a single packet. So Ive heard.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Like I said. I think this strain needs more of a pitch rate than just a single packet. So Ive heard.

That could be true. I just did some looking around and the suggested pitchign rate is different than some of the other dry yeasts.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

I read somewhere (in Yeast maybe?) that not rehydrating the yeast results in about 50% cell loss. I was like :shock: and ever since then I take the 5 extra minutes to hydrate it.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I read somewhere (in Yeast maybe?) that not rehydrating the yeast results in about 50% cell loss. I was like :shock: and ever since then I take the 5 extra minutes to hydrate it.

damn! what temp do you rehydrate at? I try to do something between 90-105F. occasionally I space out and it dips down into the 80s.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

damn! what temp do you rehydrate at? I try to do something between 90-105F. occasionally I space out and it dips down into the 80s.

Same

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

I just looked it up for BRY-97 and it is 10 times the yeast weight of water and a temp of 86-95.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Did you re-hydrate it or just dump it in? I just dumped this time. I have one more pack that I may try with an American Stout but I will re-hydrate it this time.

I did re-hydrate.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

I just looked it up for BRY-97 and it is 10 times the yeast weight of water and a temp of 86-95.

is that yeast weight in water thing more like a minimum? I usually just use about 1/2 cup for a packet of yeast and call it a day.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I've never measured the water, usually just use a cup or so. But like everyone else has said usually around 90-100.

#19 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Used this in a wheat ale, rehydrated as instructed. Slow start, 36-48 hrs AIRC, but finished in a week.Wheat ale hazy, but that's not unusual. No off-flavors.Pitched cake onto IPA yesterday, rock and roll this AM, like I'm used to.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

I have been drinking a Simcoe IPA that used this yeast and while it did start slower than I was used to the beer tastes great and it cleared pretty darn well. I will be using this yeast again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users