#1 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I brewed my first beer with BRY 97 and it was about as good S-05, I didn't note it as being significantly better but about as good. The packaging is very cool, though. Danstar is now vacuum packing the dry yeast. Lately, I have been repitching slurry from dry yeast. I have not had any problems with S-05/04 and have a pretty standard way of doing it. I repitched BRY97 slurry and the resulting beer has a very fruity (banana) taste to it at kegging time. I wonder if this flavor will dissipate with cold conditioning and some CO2. The question I have is whether or not there are yeast that are more likely to develop off-flavors at a faster rate, when repitching. I don't necessarily think I treated that beer any different. I repitched like I often do. But I wonder about BRy97's stability over several generations and the possibility that S-05 is a sturdier yeast.

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

As cheap as dry is I use it one and done. As far as your question goes there are different factors that can cause ester. What you didn't say was style and ferment temp. It would take more than once for me to make a judgement call when working with something new. Thanks for your feedback. I have four beers planned with this yeast so I will keep it in mind.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Still haven't used mine. Probably after GABF since I won't have a starter going.And I would like to hear some particulars about how it was used pass if you don't mind posting it.

#4 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Good point on the ferm temp. I might have let this one get away from me and that seems entirely possible. I just don't remember the fermentation being anything different from what I usually do. I use to not reuse dry yeast slurry but I had good results once and just kept on doing it since it seemed to work.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

I don't use a lot of dry yeast but this conversation is interesting. In the few times I have used US-05, S-23 or whatever, I have just used it one time and then retired it. I bounced the idea of reusing it around the boards and got equal parts "it's cheap so just use a new pack" and "Why wouldn't you reuse it? Now it's just a big blob of yeast slurry like any other" so the jury might be out on that part of it. One thing that's for sure is that I pay close attention to keeping ale temps low and fermenting in a tub of water where temps stay in the 60-65° range. A reuse of yeast (whether liquid or dry) seems like a particularly good time to keep primary temps low just in case. I realize there are times when you want characteristics from a warmer fermentation but that's rarely the case with me. I just used 1272 over the weekend (for the first time in a long time) and read that you will get "intense fruitiness" at warmer temps... suffice to say that I'm keeping it cool. Sorry if that was more "threadjack" than anything else.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Something also interesting is 1056 fermented cold can cause esters. I know some IpA brewers that ferment cold on purpose to get this.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

That's a strange yeast. Brewed with it Friday and it was barely showing any activity 36 hours later. Blew off Saturday night/Sunday morning with 5 gallons of headspace. When I checked it late Sunday morning it was barely showing any activity. I think it pretty well finished over the night.

#8 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Something also interesting is 1056 fermented cold can cause esters. I know some IpA brewers that ferment cold on purpose to get this.

How cold?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users