#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Mtn asked me to share this here, so here we go! I brewed this a couple weeks ago 13 # pils 8 # rye 1 # crystal 60 .25 # Aromatic I can't find my hop schedule info right now, but I will look for it more. I used Fuggle, EKG, Saaz, and Sterling IIRC to somewhere around 30ish IBUs Fermented with White Labs American Farmhouse Blend which is an unnamed saison yeast and an unnamed strain of Brett. Kept the temps at 77. I am tasting it now and it smells redolent of peaches, apricots, and nectarines. The brett has just barely started to come through and it seems to be similar to the Orval type brett character. Nice and dry and the rye is big. Smooth unctuous rye mouthfeel. Color is golden orange hue. Judging by my sample, this is going to be a crowd pleaser once it is carbed up and chilled. I would definitely make this again.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks doob. The reason I wanted it is because sb, Guest, Odacrem and I are going to do one of these this weekend for the barrel. Looks similar to what I came up with but I have less rye.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

All the brewers at Great Taste were all over Bricks homebrew recipe that was converted so 23rd could brew and enter them. He had a cask of Brett Saison in the real ale tent plus a non Brett version Rye under the tents. If you didnt get it within the first hour you missed out.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks doob. The reason I wanted it is because sb, Guest, Odacrem and I are going to do one of these this weekend for the barrel. Looks similar to what I came up with but I have less rye.

Yeah, I really wanted to push the envelope on the rye here. I know you have made lots of rye beers, but maybe for some others, I have been finding that it is quite helpful to crush the rye either first or last because it tends to need a slightly smaller gap on the mill. YMMV. You don't want it to be flour after all, but add a few rice hulls and you are good to go.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, I really wanted to push the envelope on the rye here. I know you have made lots of rye beers, but maybe for some others, I have been finding that it is quite helpful to crush the rye either first or last because it tends to need a slightly smaller gap on the mill. YMMV. You don't want it to be flour after all, but add a few rice hulls and you are good to go.

I agree on crushing the rye. The kernels are long and narrow, sort of like rice, instead of plump like barley.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

I agree on crushing the rye. The kernels are long and narrow, sort of like rice, instead of plump like barley.

I usually crush it once by itself, then add it to the main bill and run it through with the barley malt

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

I usually crush it once by itself, then add it to the main bill and run it through with the barley malt

Not a bad idea.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Not a bad idea.

that way I don't have to fart around with the gap

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

that way I don't have to fart around with the gap

It's pretty easy on my mill but the less gap farting the better.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

It's pretty easy on my mill but the less gap farting the better.

Andy? :crazy:

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Yes?

I would not be opposed to running the rye back through with the barley, but my whole point about crushing the rye first or last was that the kernels are much thinner than barley, and when crushed together at a nice gap for barley, I get a lot of slightly or non cracked rye.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

Lol!

I have fat rollers on my BrewTek mill. Its set between .038-40. This gap works perfectly for all grain sizes running it through just once. The secret is the fat rollers.

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Lol!

I have fat rollers on my BrewTek mill. Its set between .038-40. This gap works perfectly for all grain sizes running it through just once. The secret is the fat rollers.

I now have fat roller envy

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yes?

I would not be opposed to running the rye back through with the barley, but my whole point about crushing the rye first or last was that the kernels are much thinner than barley, and when crushed together at a nice gap for barley, I get a lot of slightly or non cracked rye.

I understand entirely about why you run it through separately, the other reason is to make sure you get to smell i being crushed :blush:

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

I understand entirely about why you run it through separately, the other reason is to make sure you get to smell i being crushed :blush:

Winning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users