Photo
- - - - -

Interesting "homebrew supply" delivery...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I ordered some ingredients from an online supplier that I may or may not mention, depending on how they handle this. The delivery arrived today and I took it directly from the FedEx driver. The order included about a pound of various hop pellets and also 20 lbs of Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt, 10 lbs of Weyermann Munich 10L and another 10 lbs of Best Malz Vienna. I carefully opened the box and saw loose grain in the box. Eh, maybe it was just some small hiccup down at the factory. No. All three bags of grain looked like someone had taken both hands and ripped the bags they were in. First I thought "mouse!" but the box was in perfect condition... no holes or tears. All of the hops were vacuum-sealed and fine. But a good 50% of this grain was laying on the bottom of the box, mixed together. I sent them an email to see what they'll do. How can you brew when you don't know what grains you're using? Never had this happen in almost 14 years of brewing.

Edited by KenLenard, 10 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#2 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

You can always make a mystery beer.Dan

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Does the box look like it might have been retaped? Could have been FedEx. Someone thought it was beer got in it, saw grain, got mad and took it our on the innocent grain. That would be my only other thought other than a problem at the store.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

The box was well-taped but it didn't look like it had been tampered with. But either someone at FedEx or the supplier went berzerk on these bags. Envision taking a plastic bag and ripping a hole in it with both hands. That's what it looked like. I was able to salvage some of each of the bags but I could probably make a 5-gallon batch with what's laying in the box. Also, there was a bag that lined the whole box so everything that fell out is [at least] contained... I just don't know what it is. I suppose I could just assume that it's an even amount of pale malt, munich and vienna and just make something as if my eyes were closed.

#5 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Lets hope the people you got it from will do the right thing.Dan

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Lets hope the people you got it from will do the right thing.Dan

This.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Had something similar a few months back. I got a sorry and a $5 gift certificate. I was not really happy about it.

#8 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

that stinks.If the tape didn't say Fed Ex on it, then it's likely that they had nothing to do with it. I know when I have had packages go wrong with FedEx and USPS, they seal it back up with tape that has their name printed on it.weird man.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Had something similar a few months back. I got a sorry and a $5 gift certificate. I was not really happy about it.

Really? $5? Are they for serious? Well, these guys will lose some bidness and probably get some bad pub (by me) if they don't make it right.

If the tape didn't say Fed Ex on it, then it's likely that they had nothing to do with it. I know when I have had packages go wrong with FedEx and USPS, they seal it back up with tape that has their name printed on it.

No FedEx tape on it... all of the tape was clear packing tape. I guess I just wonder how that could happen. These rips in the bags were not even on the tops of the bags but on the sides. So as I grabbed the bags, even more stuff spilled out. It was as if someone placed the bag in the box and then reached in and ripped them so that the maximum amount of grain would spill. Weird, wild stuff indeed. Btw... this was a $100 order. I know that people spend $4000 on hardware or whatever but this is pretty consistent for me to spend a good amount of money with these guys on grain, hops and yeast so I do hope they handle it properly.

#10 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Maybe someone at the place new about your dark side and wanted to teach you a lesson.Dan

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

you could try to mix it up as evenly as possible and assume whatever wasn't still in the bags was mixed evenly and then account for the ratio being whatever it is. you could make some nice beers with those base malts mixed together.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

you could try to mix it up as evenly as possible and assume whatever wasn't still in the bags was mixed evenly and then account for the ratio being whatever it is. you could make some nice beers with those base malts mixed together.

I totally agree. I could just take 10 lbs of the mixed-up grain and assume that it's relatively evenly divided although I think that some of the holes were larger than others. My guess is that the Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt hole was the largest (that was the biggest bag) and I suppose that having a higher percentage of THAT grain might be how you would go in the first place. Whatever. Clearly I'm not returning this grain so the next question is what to do with it. I would take 10 lbs of the mixed grain, maybe add a specialty grain (and maybe not), hop it to 30 IBU and use 1056 or one of the lager strains I have up & running and just keep my fingers crossed. But... would I be able to duplicate it if the beer came out stellar? I think not.

#13 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

I see a mystery beer in your future.Dan

#14 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Definitely keep us updated as to the resolution. I want to know which stores I can trust to do the right thing. I actually think you should tell us the store regardless of the outcome, but that is just my opinion.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

I totally agree. I could just take 10 lbs of the mixed-up grain and assume that it's relatively evenly divided although I think that some of the holes were larger than others. My guess is that the Gambrinus Pale Ale Malt hole was the largest (that was the biggest bag) and I suppose that having a higher percentage of THAT grain might be how you would go in the first place. Whatever. Clearly I'm not returning this grain so the next question is what to do with it. I would take 10 lbs of the mixed grain, maybe add a specialty grain (and maybe not), hop it to 30 IBU and use 1056 or one of the lager strains I have up & running and just keep my fingers crossed. But... would I be able to duplicate it if the beer came out stellar? I think not.

measure what grain is left in each bag, subtract, now you know how much is spilled out.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10730 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

I had that on an order from MoreBeer who packages the 10 lb grains in a taped grocery bag. One had popped with an intact box I believe because it was a 50 lb paked box and I assume someone dropped it a couple of feet. I called to report it and they guy just asked me to estimate how much grain I lost. It wasn't even lost, just in the bottom of the box and I said about a pound. The guy immediately overnighted 2 lbs to me.I hope you have the same kind of luck.

#17 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

measure what grain is left in each bag, subtract, now you know how much is spilled out.

Alternatively, you could mix ALL of the grains together and know what you had in the mixture, and add it to whatever base malt you want for a few batches and have SOME idea what you are brewing.....

#18 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

You could weigh what is still in the bags and get a better idea of the mix.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Definitely keep us updated as to the resolution. I want to know which stores I can trust to do the right thing. I actually think you should tell us the store regardless of the outcome, but that is just my opinion.

I would never keep you guys in the dark on this. I wanted to reserve any comment until I found out how they handle it. No matter what the outcome, I will post the name of the place so you can decide for yourself. I honestly don't think many people order from this place but not sure.

Yeah, that's doable, thanks Studs. I can determine what is left by weighing it and then know what the mixture contains and then decide what to do with it. What if the stars aligned properly and everything that spilled out created some form of super-grist that no one had ever tried before?!?!? Nah, I doubt it. :DAlso... tell me what I should do if the place asks ME what we should do? Technically I didn't "lose" anything but I ordered these grains in these amounts because I had them slated for various upcoming beers. I might ask them to send me half of the order over again (half the weight of each grain), free of charge. Too much to ask?

Edited by KenLenard, 10 July 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Also... tell me what I should do if the place asks ME what we should do? Technically I didn't "lose" anything but I ordered these grains in these amounts because I had them slated for various upcoming beers. I might ask them to send me half of the order over again (half the weight of each grain), free of charge. Too much to ask?

That sounds fair to me. I would have been happy with that for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users