19 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

So, after reading djinkc's post in the PH I decided to put up some pictures of the upgrades I have been doing to my brewery. I used to brew in my garage and bring everything to my basement. That got old, so it was time to move everything to the basement. This started in December and I am close to being able to brew again. I still have to finish the ventilation and hard pipe the water. I hope to get a brew in next weekend. This is powered off a dedicated 50A GFCI breaker in my main panel. Each "circuit" coming out of the control panel is also individually protected for short circuit inside the control panel. Posted ImageThe strap was only to prove it would work and has since been changed to chain.Posted ImageMy RIMS tube. - 1400 watts @120VPosted ImageControl PanelPosted ImageInside of the panelPosted ImagePWM circtuit to control the boil - not yet mounted in the control panelPosted ImageIt needed some style!Posted ImageAnd where it will all go. The chamber has had the insualtion finished and since been changed to having an AC cool it. The conical also has a new home with a board member.Posted Image

#2 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Very nice.Dan

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

I would love to go electric, but I have neither the skills to build it on my own, nor the ability to justify the funds for a turnkey system. Very nice.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Sweet! I've wanted my own little brewery for a while now.I am moving in a couple months and already have a brew shed/man cave planned. It will house all of my fridges and hopefully the brew house. Gonna be a 12 X 20 shed. Probably gonna take a while to build and I'll be brewing out of the garage for a bit. Cheers!Rich

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Nice rig! I am jealous of that 3 gallon corny too!

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Nice rig! I am jealous of that 3 gallon corny too!

shh don't tell .. I have 6 of them. I got 2 at a car swap meet last year for 20 each, ball lock too.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

12 X 20 shed. .

That is about the size of my space. Basicaly 1/4 of my cellar.

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

shh don't tell .. I have 6 of them. I got 2 at a car swap meet last year for 20 each, ball lock too.

Oh man! I so want some 3 gallon cornies!

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I hate you.:cheers:

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

That is about the size of my space. Basicaly 1/4 of my cellar.

I'm gonna pour a concrete floor and add a french drain going down the middle so I can just hose it out. But I will have 4 fridges, 1 fermentation chamber, and my brew house in there. Gonna air condition it and have a hood for the brew house. probably add a TV too. Gonna be sweet.

#11 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

You need a couch also for when I come over and crash your brew day.Dan

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Already there along with a lazy boy and I have an old TV that is getting mounted down there this weekend!! I am a thinker!

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

one of these days. Probably take a while to complete the shed. It's in the plans though.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have a PWM ordered but it'll be a long project. I want to switch to a 5500W element, which means a new GFI breaker, rewire with heavier gauge wire and replace the SSR too. Bet it takes me a year.......

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

I have a PWM ordered but it'll be a long project. I want to switch to a 5500W element, which means a new GFI breaker, rewire with heavier gauge wire and replace the SSR too. Bet it takes me a year.......

What are you using for an element now? I thin I have a 4500W in there now. I can easily go up now with the upgrade, I was limited before.

#16 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

What are you using for an element now? I thin I have a 4500W in there now. I can easily go up now with the upgrade, I was limited before.

4500W which is just under the max that circuit can handle safely.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

What size batches to you guys do with a 4500w? What is the need for the 5500w, just faster boil or a bigger batch?

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

What size batches to you guys do with a 4500w? What is the need for the 5500w, just faster boil or a bigger batch?

I shoot for 11.5 gallons into the fermetner so 12.5-13 pre-boil. I am happy with the 4500 watt element. A larger one would get you up to boil faster. I typically turn my down to 75% or a bit lower once to boil starts just to maintain it. I do have a 5500 watt in my HLT just so it heats up faster.

#19 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I shoot for 11.5 gallons into the fermetner so 12.5-13 pre-boil. I am happy with the 4500 watt element. A larger one would get you up to boil faster. I typically turn my down to 75% or a bit lower once to boil starts just to maintain it. I do have a 5500 watt in my HLT just so it heats up faster.

Ok good to know thanks. So 5 gal batches would be no problem then for a 4500w. I have most of the electronics now for it I just need to get it all together.

#20 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, it would be nice sometimes to have that extra 1000W to speed things up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users