#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I plan to mash in tonight and brew tomorrow, I have done this a couple times so far and it has helped get me brewing more often. Anyways her's the recipe:7.50 lb Pilsner (1.8 SRM) Grain 71.43 %2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 19.05 %1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 17.6 IBU1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.20 %] (20 min) Hops 10.6 IBU0.50 oz Saaz [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.4 IBU0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.20 %] (0 min) Hops - 1.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.52 %1 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast #3711) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SGEst Final Gravity: 1.008 Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.66 % Bitterness: 31.6 IBUEst Color: 4.2 SRM

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

A buddy of mine makes a terrific Rye Saison. Im digging your recipe!

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49874 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I make something like this, but with more rye, and sometimes an addition of chocolate rye in varing amounts. Your recipe looks awesome! Most of what I brew is saison and 3711 has been my house yeast since it was on the special release from Wyeast. You can use it over and over and over with little issue.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

I like how you think! https://www.brews-br...489#entry722489

#5 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I have been drinking this for a while now and it is very nice. Brauer had some on Thursday and picked out the fact that is reminiscent of tobacco in aroma/taste. I guess the combo of rye malt, yeast spiciness and the earthiness from the styrians all contributed to it. Not what I was expecting at all but I am happy with it.

#6 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Brauer had some on Thursday and picked out the fact that is reminiscent of tobacco in aroma/taste. I guess the combo of rye malt, yeast spiciness and the earthiness from the styrians all contributed to it. Not what I was expecting at all but I am happy with it.

And I meant this in a very good way. This is a delicious and fascinating beer. The tobacco aroma and flavor is very pleasant and really interesting. If you really work to break the flavor down, I think you can pull out the notes of spicy and earthy hops with Saison yeast and rye malt that add up to the whole that reminds you of that scent you get from good tobacco that the real taste of tobacco never lives up to.

This is a lot more flavor than I would have expected to come from 3711. This is a lot of beer for such a simple recipe and a Belgian yeast that's usually considered to be a bit of a compromise of performance over flavor.

The body is also distinctive. The beer is very dry at 1.006, but there is a moment toward the end of a sip where you get a nice sensation of full body, which then subsides to the dry finish you expect from a Saison.

I think that this is a great Saison that would probably freak out a judge expecting another Saison Dupont clone. It probably would need to be entered in category 23 as a Rye Saison, where I think it would do well. Frankly, I'd be hard pressed to imagine the beer that would keep it from taking the gold.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49874 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

I am surprised to hear you say that about 3711. I have always thought it has a nice character. You are damn right about performance though. It chomps

#8 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'm no authority on 3711, just repeating what I've heard as a reason why brewers want to struggle with 3724. I have to agree with you though, this beer certainly shows that 3711 has great flavor.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

sounds like a great recipe. it really makes me sad that there are so many beers I want to make and I only have one liver.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

sounds like a great recipe. it really makes me sad that there are so many beers I want to make and I only have one liver.

damn that is quotable

I feel the same way, it's tough narrowing down recipes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users