#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Just brewed the following today, mash was 150 with a 90 minute boil. Measured OG of 1.050 8.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %0.75 oz Magnum [12.90 %] (60 min) Hops 35.9 IBU1.00 oz Pilsner hop Blend [4.23 %] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU1.00 oz Pilsner hop Blend [4.23 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU1.00 oz Pilsner hop Blend [4.23 %] (0 min) Hops - 1 Pkgs Staro (Wyeast Labs #2782) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-LagerHop blend is an equal mix of Saphir, Hersbrucker and Saaz.

#2 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

IBU's come in at 51

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

I had a similar hopping schedule on my bo pils but instead of the blend I used saaz.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

What do you plan to ferment this at?

#5 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

What do you plan to ferment this at?

I will do it right at 50, the Staro yeast is reccomended at 50-58. The nice thing was I pitched from yeast I harvested last night, it should take off fast.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

This, like most of youre recipes, looks real nice. I hope to get into lagers latter this year and this could be a nice start.

#7 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

This, like most of youre recipes, looks real nice. I hope to get into lagers latter this year and this could be a nice start.

Thanks, crazy thing is I brew mostly average strength beer but when I go out I usually buy big IPA's, sours and what not.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

I fermented (am still fermenting very slowly I guess) mine right around 51F for the first couple of days and then my basement warmed up so I ended up close to 53F. I'm hoping it won't contribute any off flavors but I'm figuring the bulk of the fermentation was done before the temp went up. I was a little nervous about trying to get it down to 50F and have it stall out on me.

#9 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

I fermented my Bopils with Staro at about 47 and it had no problem, went from 1.054 to 1.011 in just over a week.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

I fermented my Bopils with Staro at about 47 and it had no problem, went from 1.054 to 1.011 in just over a week.

I will keep that in mind for the future. I def like to do lagers as cold as the yeast will allow. Have you used this yeast above 50F in the past?

#11 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

I will keep that in mind for the future. I def like to do lagers as cold as the yeast will allow. Have you used this yeast above 50F in the past?

In the Alt I did last week which is where I harvested the yeast from, it got up to about 60-61. It tasted nice after primary, it is lagering now at 35 so we shall see how that goes in a couple of weeks.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54732 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

Looks great and it's probably the first time I've seen Saphir in a Pils. The blend of Hersbrucker, Saphir and Saaz sounds yummy and that yeast is outta this world. I made a bunch of stuff with it including a Red Lager of all things. Let us know how it comes out & cheers!

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I made a Saphir/Hersbrucker Pilsner last year and thought it worked really well in a Pilsner.

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sterling works real well for this too.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54732 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

I did a little homework on Saphir after reading this and see that it's supposed to take the place of Hallertau Mittelfruh which sometimes has disease issues. The Saphir has a Hallertau mother and some additional components that make it more disease-resistant, it runs from 2.5% to 4.5% and is supposed to be smooth and balanced & great for aroma. Sounds right up my alley! I swear there are so many hops and grains coming out that I can't keep track of them anymore! :frantic:

#16 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

I did a little homework on Saphir after reading this and see that it's supposed to take the place of Hallertau Mittelfruh which sometimes has disease issues. The Saphir has a Hallertau mother and some additional components that make it more disease-resistant, it runs from 2.5% to 4.5% and is supposed to be smooth and balanced & great for aroma. Sounds right up my alley! I swear there are so many hops and grains coming out that I can't keep track of them anymore! :frantic:

Saphir has been around for a few years now, but has flown under the radar for the most part. I found out about at a local brewpub when they used it as a dryhop for a cask version of their pale ale. Saphir is a gentle hop more floral than anything else, I made an all Saphir Pilsner last year that was very nice.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

I made an all Saphir Pilsner last year that was very nice.

Yes, it was!

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54732 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

I just read a review of the Saphir hops (on Rebel Brewer) and the reviewer mentioned that the hops were sort of "tangerine"-like and also imparted a heavy grapefruit flavor and aroma when he used them late in the boil. Does this sound correct? I'd really like to try these but not if that flavor is pronounced.

#19 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

I just read a review of the Saphir hops (on Rebel Brewer) and the reviewer mentioned that the hops were sort of "tangerine"-like and also imparted a heavy grapefruit flavor and aroma when he used them late in the boil. Does this sound correct? I'd really like to try these but not if that flavor is pronounced.

Not from my experience, I have found them very clean andmostly floral with a subtle spice late in the boil.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54732 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Not from my experience, I have found them very clean andmostly floral with a subtle spice late in the boil.

This sounds much better to me. It couldn't hurt to try them but I would keep my fingers crossed that I don't "citrusize" a perfectly good beer. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users