#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

This is going to be a Northern German style Altbeir, mashed in at 140 for 30 at a 1:1 ratio. Then raised the temp to 150 for 60 through infusion making the mash a 2:1 water to grain ratio.Type: All Grain Date: 1/5/2011 Batch Size: 3.00 gal Brewer: Chris Cavanaugh Boil Size: 3.71 gal Asst Brewer: Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 3.00 lb Pilsner (1.8 SRM) Grain 58.14 % 2.00 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 38.76 % 0.16 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.10 % 0.50 oz Pearle [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17 IBU 0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.7 IBU 0.25 oz Tettnang [5.5 %] (20 min) Hops 5.2 IBU 1 Pkgs Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (White Labs #WLP036) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SGEst Final Gravity: 1.012Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.56 % Bitterness: 25.9 IBU

#2 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:12 AM

You can't really go wrong with a great recipe like that. Looks very tasty!

#3 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

Nice Avatar.... :facepalm: why make 3 gallons?test batch?

#4 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Nice Avatar.... :facepalm: why make 3 gallons? test batch?

I made 3 gallons as I didn't make a starter, brewing was a last minute call.

Edited by cavman, 24 January 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#5 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

I had this beer on Sunday (hi, Cavman). Really spectacular. One of the best Northern German Alts I've ever had. Maybe the best.Good job, Man!

#6 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

I had this beer on Sunday (hi, Cavman). Really spectacular. One of the best Northern German Alts I've ever had. Maybe the best. Good job, Man!

Thanks, I really respect your opinion especially in German and specifically Alt beers. I would send it to contest but the unfortunate thing of it being a small batch makes me say no to sending 3 bottles away. The Schwarzbier should be around perfect timing for the contest at the tap however. Just need to see if it's going to be as good as I think.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:01 AM

Thanks, I really respect your opinion especially in German and specifically Alt beers. I would send it to contest but the unfortunate thing of it being a small batch makes me say no to sending 3 bottles away. The Schwarzbier should be around perfect timing for the contest at the tap however. Just need to see if it's going to be as good as I think.

did you just bring this guy in to be your fan club or what? if you are willing to give me beer I'll give you some positive feed back if you want ;)

#8 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

did you just bring this guy in to be your fan club or what? if you are willing to give me beer I'll give you some positive feed back if you want ;)

Perhaps I should hold a sign that says, "Will complement for beer"? I'm pretty critical of bad beer, but Cavman doesn't make much bad beer. I just thought I should let people know how good this beer is, since I know how easy it is to to miss such a simple, straightforward recipe because it doesn't reach out and grab you with some crazy malt or hop combination. This one makes a delicious and style-perfect North German Alt. Cavman also knows that he was catering to my tastes with this and the Little Indian, so I suppose that makes me less objective.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

I just thought I should let people know how good this beer is, since I know how easy it is to to miss such a simple, straightforward recipe because it doesn't reach out and grab you with some crazy malt or hop combination. This one makes a delicious and style-perfect North German Alt.

I think you'll find that a recipe like this will be appreciated around here. I'm not sure if you are on other forums (kind of sounds like you are) but there are definitely some people around here that appreciate the non-Xtreme™ beers. At some point I'll get around to making an alt and I'm guessing the recipe will be very similar to this although I'd probably do a single infusion and use a touch of aromatic. ;)

#10 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

I think you'll find that a recipe like this will be appreciated around here. I'm not sure if you are on other forums (kind of sounds like you are) but there are definitely some people around here that appreciate the non-Xtreme™ beers. At some point I'll get around to making an alt and I'm guessing the recipe will be very similar to this although I'd probably do a single infusion and use a touch of aromatic. :facepalm:

He is on some other forums, he's not a newb at all. As for sending you a beer the alt is almost gone ;) maybe we can work something out soon though, my schwarzbier will be ready soon.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

He is on some other forums, he's not a newb at all. As for sending you a beer the alt is almost gone ;) maybe we can work something out soon though, my schwarzbier will be ready soon.

just let me know if you'll ever be heading north. one of my last friends in your area moved away recently so I'm not sure I'll be in your hood very often.

#12 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

just let me know if you'll ever be heading north. one of my last friends in your area moved away recently so I'm not sure I'll be in your hood very often.

OK, I don't head up there very often though. Maybe one of these days we can actually get some of the guys to agree on a meetup date.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

OK, I don't head up there very often though. Maybe one of these days we can actually get some of the guys to agree on a meetup date.

indeed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users