12 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

My vision was clear... a Summer English Ale. But the batch I made 2 weeks ago with 1028 (Aviator's English Ale) ended up smelling absolutely foul and I could not reuse that yeast. I have made that beer 4 or 5 times before and it's always stellar. Something must've happened. I have never had this problem where the yeast I needed ended up bad so my choices for yeast were limited. I had some US-05 which I know is widely accepted and loved by homebrewers but I have to admit that I am not a huge fan. I had some WLP002 cold in the vial but that seemed problematic. I looked further and found some S-23 dry lager yeast from December 2009. An English Lager!

Stoopid English Lager!

5.75 lbs American 2-row
2.50 lbs UK Pale Malt
1 lb Vienna
8 oz Wheat Malt
1 oz Kent 4.9% plus ¼ oz Styrian Golding 3.5% for 60 mins
¾ oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% for 5 mins
Fermentis S-23 Dry Lager yeast

OG: 1.054, FG: 1.014, IBU: 27, SRM: 4, ABV: 5.2%

I suppose it has no explanation style-wise. It's the grain bill & hop schedule of a Summer English Ale with a dry lager yeast. I plan to ferment it at about 55°

#2 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

One speaker at Cincinnati NHBC was from london and explained the beer judging in England.All English beer is ale.All Imports are Lager, regardless of how they are fermented.So an English Lager is an Oxymoron by their definition.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

One speaker at Cincinnati NHBC was from london and explained the beer judging in England.
All English beer is ale.
All Imports are Lager, regardless of how they are fermented.

So an English Lager is an Oxymoron by their definition.

Ah, see? But how often does a brewer come up with something that cannot be defined? :cheers: Oh, but wait... everything else is lager? So an American Pale Ale or American Amber Ale or an Irish Stout are all considered lagers? Sheesh. I know I could've just used the US-05 and called it a Blonde Ale or whatever, but I really didn't want to go that way and when I saw that S-23 in my fridge and lightbulb popped on over my head, I just had to go that way. It's fermenting now at about 50° and smells like beery heaven so far. Cheers.

#4 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Ah, see? But how often does a brewer come up with something that cannot be defined? :D Oh, but wait... everything else is lager? So an American Pale Ale or American Amber Ale or an Irish Stout are all considered lagers? Sheesh. I know I could've just used the US-05 and called it a Blonde Ale or whatever, but I really didn't want to go that way and when I saw that S-23 in my fridge and lightbulb popped on over my head, I just had to go that way. It's fermenting now at about 50° and smells like beery heaven so far. Cheers.

English Lager strain?? That would explain the fruitiness of this lager yeast! For the record I HATE most dry yeast, even more peculiar is Thats all I used to swear by. What a paradox! :cheers:

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

I forget where I saw it, but someone just posted a thread about the Fermentis dry yeasts being pretty darn good. I generally do not like dry yeasts and I only pick them up rarely for purposes just like this. I know a lot of people love Nottingham, Windsor, US-05, WB-06, W34/70, etc. but I generally stick to liquid. I'll keep you guys posted but for now, the aroma is lovely. English hops with a clean, pilsner-like aroma. Weird! Cheers.

#6 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

I have brewed a Lager using s-23 I believe i used Ken's Mexican Vienna recipe it was yummy

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

I have a house full of out-of-town guests including 6 kids in their early 20s (nieces, nephews & friend's of theirs...) and my kegs are dropping quickly. I just put this beer on my tap #2 today and sort of held my breath when I took the first sip. Tastes like a nice pilsner. I know that Kent & Styrian Goldings are usually used in English beers, but with the SGs being Slovenian and these hops being mild and fresh, the beer ended up nicely balanced, very clear and pilsner-like. This S-23 turned this into a very, very nice beer. Cheers.

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

One speaker at Cincinnati NHBC was from london and explained the beer judging in England. All English beer is ale. All Imports are Lager, regardless of how they are fermented. So an English Lager is an Oxymoron by their definition.

LOL...that makes about as much sense as the definition in Texas that any beer greater than 5% ABV is an ale, everything else is a lager.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Here's a shot of this beer. It's as clear as can be and the pic does NOT do it justice. Long live the English Lager with Maris Otter, Kent & Styrian Golding hops along with S-23 dry lager yeast. Cheers.

Posted Image

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

s-23 sure does flocc well doesn't it :)I made a lager some years back with almost that same recipe, it was delicious

#11 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4963 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

This recipe sounds (and looks!) very good to me!Jim

#12 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

I brewed something like this last month.

Mad Irishman Lager

10.5 # UK Pale malt
.5# Victory
1oz Chocolate malt for color
Had a mix of Progress and EKG whole hops for a bittering addition at 90 mins for 23.5 IBUs
Adjust chloride vs. sulfates for a balanced profile, and adjust PH accordingly

I used WLP800 (Rougue's Irish Lager uses a Czech yeast also, who better to rip off than Rougue!)
fermented at 48-50 degrees.
Lager at 38 degrees for 4 weeks
Carb at 13 psi at 38 degrees for 5-6 days.

8.9 SRM 1.053 OG 23.5 IBUs

A UK lager,what a concept! From what I understand, the Brits do drink a good amount of lagers.They are extremely popular over there also.

#13 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

Here's a shot of this beer. It's as clear as can be and the pic does NOT do it justice. Long live the English Lager with Maris Otter, Kent & Styrian Golding hops along with S-23 dry lager yeast. Cheers.

Posted Image

Damn Ken, you post some nice pics of some tasty looking beers! I wish I could enjoy this one through the internet right now. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users