#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Ok, here is what I have settled on for a recipe.10 lb Maris Otter1 lb Cyrstal 80L.50 lb Munich.50 lb Victory.25 lb Crystal 10L.75 ounce Magnum pellets at 60 minutes1 ounce Mt. Hood pellets at 15 minutes.5 ounce Willamette loose at 5 minutesFerment with Wyeast 1272 American Ale III am opting for the Maris Otter to forgo using Biscuit, but also partly because it is what I have on hand for base grain. If I think the SRM is too light, I may toss in an ounce (or less) of Roast or Black Patent.Thoughts?

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

Ok, so I ran my recipe through BeerSmith again and upped the amount I would collect and ferment. After sparging, I collected 8.5 gallons with an adjusted gravity of 1.041. Had a good vigorous boil and ended up with close to 6 in the fermenter with an OG of 1.060. BeerSmith calculated this would likely happen with the boil off rate, so I adjusted my hop schedule slightly. In all, the session went well. It did end up higher than anticipated, but was at the max of the range. Pitched the yeast (1272 American Ale II) at about 70 degrees. No activity yet, but expect it to be going sometime tomorrow.

#23 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

Don't mean to bump this back up after so long, but I wanted to make a comment or two about Fat Tire. My beer is on tap and it is damn good! And thank god for the Blue Board because my computer crashed and the recipe went with it. I think I can recreate it from my ramblings here though.Here's the kicker though. I had a commercial Fat Tire last night and it sucked. The color was too light and it had zero maltiness. Hops didn't taste like it should have either. And before ya'll ask... yes, it was a fresh 6er. Even the guy that bought it thought it wasn't as good and he lived in Fort Collins back when it was up and coming and was really good. Mentioned something about working at the bar in Applebees...So... I need to hang onto the recipe because I think it's a keeper.

#24 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I've never had Spotted Cow but I've had Fat Tire. So I'd brew Spotted Cow.

Based on this comment alone, I know we'd get along quite well. :rolleyes:Now if you'd ever had Spotted Cow, I can safely assume you'd change your response to "Neither".

#25 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:03 AM

Here's the kicker though. I had a commercial Fat Tire last night and it sucked.

I used to be addicted to SC until I was able to have an Ice Cold fresh Fat Tire from a tap in Colorado, I brewed adventures in homebrewing's fat tire clone, and it is damn good, doesn't taste like fat tire but fat tire seems to change every year. This was explained to me by a liquor store owner in gunnyson CO as being a result of NB brewery only using their own ingredients and if the year was not hospitable to their ingredients than the beer won't be as good. I am a huge fan of most of New Belgium and New Glarus' beers. So if I had been you i would have just brewed both.

#26 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

p.s. i stopped drinking SC because of the morning after trips to the BR, I'm sure the home brewed version wouldn't do the same :rolleyes:

#27 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

I used to be addicted to SC until I was able to have an Ice Cold fresh Fat Tire from a tap in Colorado, I brewed adventures in homebrewing's fat tire clone, and it is damn good, doesn't taste like fat tire but fat tire seems to change every year. This was explained to me by a liquor store owner in gunnyson CO as being a result of NB brewery only using their own ingredients and if the year was not hospitable to their ingredients than the beer won't be as good. I am a huge fan of most of New Belgium and New Glarus' beers. So if I had been you i would have just brewed both.

If I were New Belgium, and I used my own ingredients, I would have NOT brewed Fat Tire this year. I'm hoping to get a tour at New Glarus on Friday. Turns out I went to the same small Montana college as the President of the operations, but I don't think that will get me anything special... they are just finishing bringing the new brew house on line, so it sounds like things will be crazy the next few weeks.

#28 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

If I were New Belgium, and I used my own ingredients, I would have NOT brewed Fat Tire this year. I'm hoping to get a tour at New Glarus on Friday. Turns out I went to the same small Montana college as the President of the operations, but I don't think that will get me anything special... they are just finishing bringing the new brew house on line, so it sounds like things will be crazy the next few weeks.

I would love to see that brewery, My sis lives in Madison so maybe one of these days I'll ditch out to New Glarus and use visiting my sis as an excuse. And what happened to their ingredients this year?!

#29 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

I would love to see that brewery, My sis lives in Madison so maybe one of these days I'll ditch out to New Glarus and use visiting my sis as an excuse. And what happened to their ingredients this year?!

Not sure... but the New Belgium Brewery needs to be more careful. From what I hear there are a couple of other "up and coming" breweries in the Fort Collins, CO area. Oh... as for the brewery tour... I'd say give it a couple of months so that they can get any kinks out of the system. I'm sure that they will have them, as with any new "product" for the public.

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Not sure... but the New Belgium Brewery needs to be more careful. From what I hear there are a couple of other "up and coming" breweries in the Fort Collins, CO area.

Don't know about "up and coming" but Ft. Collins Brewery is pretty solid and Odell is one of the best in the state.

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Don't know about "up and coming" but Ft. Collins Brewery is pretty solid and Odell is one of the best in the state.

Like I said... it was just something I heard. You probably know more/better.BTW, love the picture at the bottom.. Geaux Tigers!!! (I used to go to the CWS all the time when I lived in Omaha)

#32 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

bump just because

#33 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PhatTyreAmber.pdfthat's an updated link for their clone recipe. Someone else's link was busted.

#34 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10670 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I can't handle the biscuit in Fat Tire

#35 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I can't handle the biscuit in Fat Tire

Yeah maybe that's what i did not like. Not a big fan of over-hyped beer, sometimes they taste different on tap vs. Bottled.

#36 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10670 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yeah maybe that's what i did not like. Not a big fan of over-hyped beer, sometimes they taste different on tap vs. Bottled.

I do like their 1554 and sours but New Belgium beers definitely have a house flavor.

#37 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Not crazy about Fat tire beer but sure love the Bike. My wife got me the neon for X-mas and proudly displayed in my Man CavePosted ImagePosted Image

OK, so it is a post that is more than three years old, but I LOVE the "Green Board" page on the Dell laptop in the picture.....fantastic.....

#38 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

#39 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

OK, so it is a post that is more than three years old, but I LOVE the "Green Board" page on the Dell laptop in the picture.....fantastic.....

I saw that too. LULZ. I went looking for something there and noticed that the first page there goes back to June 16. :crazy:When I joined there in 2004, it was 2-3 pages per day of content. You almost couldn't keep up with your topics it moved so fast.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54038 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

DS:I have been on vacation so I am late to the party. I made a beer that was pretty similar to SC and you should check it out. You know that Dan Carey uses flaked barley and corn in Spotted Cow, right? I don't know if that is from their site or if I actually got a nugget of info on the recent tour but that's one part of it. Also, I feel like there is something just out of the ordinary with the yeast so I used 2565 Kolsch and I got very close. On my site is a beer I called American Farmhouse Ale which is supposed to get close to Spotted Cow. Looking back, I think I show flaked rice (it's probably all I had) but I know that they use corn in that beer. The Kolsch yeast is also very possible because SC is so cloudy. Check it out & sorry for the late contribution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users