Photo
- - - - -

Who uses honey malt, how much and where?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

I just used some to test my mill. I popped a few kernels in my mouth and the flavor is actually pretty nice. It's sort of raisin-like. I used it in the test because I haven't used it in years. Who uses it, how much in 5 gallons and in what styles?

#2 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

I use 12 oz in my Strawberry Cream Ale

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

About 4oz in some of my NE IPAs.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

I feel like the flavor of it was lost when I used to use it. I don't want to bang the brewtan drum too hard but I feel like I'm getting much more character out of my malts with brewtan so the honey malt may actually come through now and I could see any number of options... honey pale ale, honey wheat, honey amber ale, honey lager and any number of other things. Thanks gang.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Ken, I have used it 3 times. All within the last year. The first time was in a 1.069 IPA where I used 8 ozs. or 3.5% of the grist. I thought it worked fantastic in that beer. But I remade the exact same beer several months later only changing the hop varieties and I thought it was too much. Not sure why the difference but it was just too sweet on the finish. I think honey malt has a very nice flavor of its own that plays really really well with fruity hops but there is an unmistakeable sweetness that comes with it and it seems easy to overdo. The third time I used it was just a few weeks ago in a Pale Ale and a group of us drained that keg quickly over the weekend. In this I thought the 4 ozs. of honey malt was perfect as a very nice accent that played extremely well with the hops. Probably didn't hurt that it dried out so well. I'll just throw the recipe out here because it turned out so damn good. 

1.055--->1.005

SRM 4

IBU 32

91% Rahr 2-row

7% Flaked Wheat

2% Honey Malt (in this case it was 4 ozs.)

Mash at 149F/50min and 160F/15min.

30 min boil

30g Simcoe @30min.

55g Mosaic in 160F whirlpool steep

25g Amarillo in 160F whirlpool steep

45g Mosaic dry hop

20g Amarillo dry hop

WY1450

100ppm each of Ca, Cl, and SO4.

Edited by neddles, 30 August 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

Ken, I have used it 3 times. All within the last year. The first time was in a 1.069 IPA where I used 8 ozs. or 3.5% of the grist. I thought it worked fantastic in that beer. But I remade the exact same beer several months later only changing the hop varieties and I thought it was too much. Not sure why the difference but it was just too sweet on the finish. I think honey malt has a very nice flavor of its own that plays really really well with fruity hops but there is an unmistakeable sweetness that comes with it and it seems easy to overdo. The third time I used it was just a few weeks ago in a Pale Ale and a group of us drained that keg quickly over the weekend. In this I thought the 4 ozs. of honey malt was perfect as a very nice accent that played extremely well with the hops. Probably didn't hurt that it dried out so well. I'll just throw the recipe out here because it turned out so damn good. 

1.055--->1.005
SRM 4
IBU 32

91% Rahr 2-row
7% Flaked Wheat
2% Honey Malt (in this case it was 4 ozs.)
Mash at 149F/50min and 160F/15min.

30 min boil

30g Simcoe @30min.

55g Mosaic in 160F whirlpool steep
25g Amarillo in 160F whirlpool steep

45g Mosaic dry hop
20g Amarillo dry hop

WY1450

100ppm each of Ca, Cl, and SO4.

Yeah, that's good stuff. If I remember anything about honey malt it's that you don't want to overdo it. I remember thinking that 4 ounces in 5 gallons was the limit. I might try it in something soon just to see how it comes out.

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19086 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

I used to use it in a softly hopped honey pale ale I used to make. IIRC, I'd just use 1 lb honey in this beer (per 5 gallons), then offset the lost residual sweetness with a half pound of honey malt. 20-30 IBU and I think some Cascade late. I think that's right, I last made it 10 or so years ago, so...

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

I haven't used it. All the homebrew beers from my friends that have had it in the beer have been blech. It's deterred me from using it.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

I haven't used it. All the homebrew beers from my friends that have had it in the beer have been blech. It's deterred me from using it.

I think it's easy to overdo and I also think it depends on your tastebuds. I don't think it would work well for me in a hoppy style because I wouldn't want hoppy character with the sweet, honey-like character. It sounds nice in the beer that porter mentioned and sounds like it would work better in a style like that. I would not bother with the honey itself but that's primarily because I whiffed on A LOT of honey beers years ago. Something amber-to-brown in color with 25-30 IBUs (coming mostly from bittering) sounds like it could be nice. 4 ounces in 5-gallons and a relatively low mash temp so you still get a dry finish... could be coming in the near future since I already have some.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

they used to much

it's nice as a sub for 30L Crystal, about 4-6 oz per 5 gallons in a pale colored APA is a nice touch

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:52 AM

they used to much

it's nice as a sub for 30L Crystal, about 4-6 oz per 5 gallons in a pale colored APA is a nice touch

I know, it's just an ingredient. If I made something that might call for it I would certainly be judicious with it. All the stuff I tried weren't great beers to begin with so it's not a fair assessment. 

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

I know, it's just an ingredient. If I made something that might call for it I would certainly be judicious with it. All the stuff I tried weren't great beers to begin with so it's not a fair assessment. 

it also has the advantage of higher fermentabilty than crystal so it leaves lower residual extract lbs for lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users