#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

I did a single hop trial beer with these. Simple malt Bill, pils and a little carapils. 35 or so IBUs at 60 and about another 30 ish late in the boil and in the dry hops. Supposed to be 1:1 GU:BU but I ended up with more gravity and less volume. Oh well, I hadn't brewed a 5 gal batch in years and I boiled a little hard. Yeast was S-04.

Came out nice. The bittering is very soft and smooth, but sturdy. You know it's there but not harsh. Flavor is almost like orange drink with a light tropical twist. The aroma is navel orange and cantaloupe. Overall, a pretty solid dual purpose hop variety, IMO. I see it as a really nice supporting character in a well thought out blend. I'll def be using these in future brews.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

typically I've seen them used with other hops and not on their own.  i had a stout made by a local brewery that was dry hopped with them that was really good.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

Sounds great. I'll have to pick up some. Leaf or pellets?

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

Glad to hear your thoughts. I have a pound of pellets that I will probably start by combining with Cascade and/or Centennial. Safe and familiar pairing ought to help me distiguish the Bravo characteristics. Unless, of course you recommend something different doob....

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

I used pellets. The wife really digs the beer too. She's kind of a hop head
All those C hops would pair great with them, and for how smooth the bittering is, you could probably use them that way for almost any style. I think it would be of be interesting to try blending with some of the more tropical varieties like mosaic too.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of mosaic just had a pretty tasty tasty single hop mosaic red ale, had a nice grapefruitish finish to it, a good clean hoppy red

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

I've used Bravo a lot for bittering and really like it. Never tried it late, may give it a try.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

At Hop & Brew School last year, Stan talked about using 10% Bravo in combo with other "fruity" hops to boost the fruit perception.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users