Photo
- - - - -

Is there German significance to this design?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

Here is a snip of a pic I took at our local Hofbrauhaus...

mwqr6o.jpg

See that blocky wall design? Is this some German-inspired thing or just a random wall design? I was considering doing something like this on the lower part of the walls of my bar. It seems easy enough to design with some nice planks of ash that one of my local big home improvement stores carry. My basement is painted in a very dark brown on some walls and a slightly lighter color on the rest. The bar is all the lighter color so I would probably do this and paint the wood design the darker color to compliment the rest of the bar area. This is not a BEER thread and I suppose this could go into the PH but thought I would bounce this around here first. Thoughts?

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10734 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

I would be you can get the answer to your question by asking the staff at the place you are at.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

I would be you can get the answer to your question by asking the staff at the place you are at.

I went there last May and just took some random pics. I feel like the staff was made up of a bunch of bored suburban teenagers and twenty-somethings and I may have known more about their place of work than they did.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

I think it's just an example of european design.  you see similar stuff in other places.

#5 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9144 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

I've seen it in other "German" themed placed in the past...most recently in Fredericksburg, TX a couple weeks ago. But whatever, if you like it, make it so!

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:31 AM

here is an image I found when I did a search for english wood paneling:

engineer-collection-regent-oak-wood-pane

581896e21f046c964d82b52a81cfe1f4.jpg

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:31 AM

Cool. I like it. It occurs to me that for it to work just so, I would have to determine how high to make it so that the smaller squares (in the design in my pic) would turn out "square" for the length of the run. I would be putting this on three walls and I would do the smaller squares on top and the larger opening on the bottom. The larger openings are rectangular and go the width of 3 of the squares. So to make sure my squares are "square" and fit perfectly across the run of the design, the height of the design would come into play as well. To get everything to lay out perfectly there would have to be a little thought on the layout. The design in Morty's pics may be a little easier to pull off. I will attempt this sometime over the next couple of months and take some pics.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

I think there is a bit of dark woodwork like that at the Essen Haus in Madison, as well as up at the Dorf Huas in Roxbury.  But... just so you can be sure, you might as well come up and hit those establishments.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

I think there is a bit of dark woodwork like that at the Essen Haus in Madison, as well as up at the Dorf Huas in Roxbury.  But... just so you can be sure, you might as well come up and hit those establishments.

Good point. :lol:

I also seem to remember seeing something along these lines in the Augustiner Bierhall we went to in Munich. I may have some pics but that particular place stands out to me because it was dark inside and there was A LOT of dark woodwork. The tables were long and dark and so were the chairs and benches. I'll have to look. I also realize that the pics show this stuff as stained but I already have the front and back bar stained and the floor is hardwood too so I don't need any more stained wood but the dark, bittersweet-chocolate brown paint could look pretty cool too. Cheers gang.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

Come on up!  I'm sure we could get BFB... a few other friends and enjoy a Boot!

https://essen-haus.c...S_BOOT_GAME.pdf

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

Okay, so this was my weekend project. Here's a shot of one side "BEFORE"...
263cw7p.jpg

And after...
33v1e9v.jpg

The other side "BEFORE"...
hsmcf8.jpg

And after...
24owt1k.jpg

I think I may do the thing I mentioned about FRAMING SOME GRAIN BAGS and remove some of the other stuff from the walls. This "blocky wall pattern" thing turned out better than I expected and just as I envisioned.

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

Looks nice. You want to come and do my basement?

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:48 PM

Sharp. I like it.

#14 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

Looks good Ken

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:38 AM

Nice wainscoting.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:16 AM

so are the panels just drywall painted the same color as the wood?

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

Yes. I measured out how I wanted to lay out the wood and the wall to the right of the bar was where I determined the size of everything. Some amount of thought had to go into the size, shape, etc. of everything. The pattern I used on that wall is used on the wall to the right of that and the other big wall. The short wall next to the entrance to the bar would not work with that pattern so those 'blocks' are smaller in size. Once I had that, I painted the wall up to that point with a color that is used elsewhere in the basement (I already had a gallon of that paint). Then I cut all the pieces to size and painted them and then fastened them to the wall. The success of the design relies on everything being straight, square and level which is tricky when walls are not square nor perfectly smooth/straight. There were a few imperfections but some caulk, spackle and extra paint goes a long way.

Nice wainscoting.

I hear this term knocked around occasionally and it seems that people treat it interchangeably with "beadboard" and other words.

I think the next thing to do is sort of 'de-frat house' the bar. The Lone Star picture I got from a guy who worked for Pabst and some of the other small wall decorations are going to be tossed or given away. The wall with the Stiegl sign might be 2 or 3 grain bag framed pieces... not sure. I started realizing that the bar was looking sort of 'garage sale' and could be spruced up.

Cheers gang.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

Yes. I measured out how I wanted to lay out the wood and the wall to the right of the bar was where I determined the size of everything. Some amount of thought had to go into the size, shape, etc. of everything. The pattern I used on that wall is used on the wall to the right of that and the other big wall. The short wall next to the entrance to the bar would not work with that pattern so those 'blocks' are smaller in size. Once I had that, I painted the wall up to that point with a color that is used elsewhere in the basement (I already had a gallon of that paint). Then I cut all the pieces to size and painted them and then fastened them to the wall. The success of the design relies on everything being straight, square and level which is tricky when walls are not square nor perfectly smooth/straight. There were a few imperfections but some caulk, spackle and extra paint goes a long way.

I hear this term knocked around occasionally and it seems that people treat it interchangeably with "beadboard" and other words.

Cheers gang.

beadboard specifically is slats or boards made to look like slats.  it could be part of one of the other wainscoting but it is also used for other things.  the little groves are the beads.  it's a classic new england style.

beadboard-x.jpg

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54058 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

beadboard specifically is slats or boards made to look like slats.  it could be part of one of the other wainscoting but it is also used for other things.  the little groves are the beads.  it's a classic new england style.

beadboard-x.jpg

I used that when I remodeled the kids bathroom a couple years ago. Some people would see it and say "Oh, I like the... " and finish with "wainscoating", "beadboard", "paneling" and a handful of other terms. I'm still trying to determine if the design I chose has some sort of European origins but I have to say that it really gives the room a cool look.

#20 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

I used that when I remodeled the kids bathroom a couple years ago. Some people would see it and say "Oh, I like the... " and finish with "wainscoating", "beadboard", "paneling" and a handful of other terms. I'm still trying to determine if the design I chose has some sort of European origins but I have to say that it really gives the room a cool look.

Like Evil said, beadboard is a type of lumber, but a wainscot is an architectural feature created by covering a lower portion of the wall.

Most architectural styles and features you see in the US came from Europe. That pattern, covering the lower 2/3 of the wall must have been in style when a lot of the old German, British, Irish, etc. pubs were built, because it is really common in the ones that haven't been ruined by remodelling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users