#1 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

I've decided to give a lager a try and would like to make a Sam Adams Boston Lager. The recipes I've come across all call for a decoction mash and I'm not really up for it. Any sugestions?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

I don't think you have to do the decoction mash here. A single infusion mash in the 151-152° range seems reasonable. The hops are definitely Hallertau Mittelfruh and the yeast is definitely Wyeast 2206 Bavarian. I think I have a recipe someplace if you need it. It's a nice beer and one that a homebrewer should be able to replicate nicely, IMO. Good luck.Ps. There is a lager page on my site. The link is below and then click on MAKING LAGERS. Cheers.

#3 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Ken. If you could post your recipe I'd like to see it.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

About 7-8% some type of medium crystal like C60 or CaraMunich III, the rest pale or pilsner malt. Mash at 150 or less depending on how dry you want it. For hops, about 30 IBUs of Tettnanger for bittering. A couple of flavor additions of 0.5 oz. each of Tettnanger and Hallertauer Mittelfruh. Maybe one at 15 minutes and the other under 5 minutes. Then dry hop with another half ounce of HM. Yeast is 2206 or other dry lager yeast (I wouldn't recommend pilsner yeasts like 2124 or O'fest yeasts like 2308 because they're not dry enough).

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

This has been floating around for awhile, but I have not made it so use it for informational purposes only. Greg is right in the zip code here...

9 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
8 oz Crystal 60°L (mash at 150° if a single infusion)

7 AAU Tettnanger pellets for 90 minutes
½ oz Hallertau Mittelfruh for 15 minutes
½ oz Tettnanger for 2 minutes
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian
¼ oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (dry hop)

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.012, SRM: 9½, IBU: 35, ABV: 4.9%

For anyone that has used Wyeast 2206, you can taste its distinct profile in this beer. I should probably give this beer a try because I think I have everything I need to make it and I really like the malty profile that you get from using this yeast. Beach, you're correct that the recipe calls for a decoction. I tried it one time and I think I ruined the beer in some other way (an infection, bad yeast, etc.) so I really never got a good feel for how the decoction changed the finished beer. Cheers.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

Also... I just entered this recipe into a calculator and the color comes up at 7 SRM. I'll assume the decoction would make the beer darker so either don't sweat the SRM number or add a small amount (¼ oz, ½ oz?) of black malt to make up for it. Cheers.We really need more than 5 minutes to edit a post. Greg, anything you can do about that?? :P

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

We really need more than 5 minutes to edit a post. Greg, anything you can do about that?? :P

*shameless plug* You could become a patron.

#8 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

I've decided to give a lager a try and would like to make a Sam Adams Boston Lager. The recipes I've come across all call for a decoction mash and I'm not really up for it. Any sugestions?

Ken Way to Multi task... it's Jimjart... I hope this gets you where you need to go. I think the other Links I shot you are about the same. Cheers look fwrd to trying it...

#9 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

Thanks again Ken, I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Hey Jim if this turns out I'll be sure to get some to you (multi-tasking is my middle name :smilielol: )

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Thanks again Ken, I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Hey Jim if this turns out I'll be sure to get some to you (multi-tasking is my middle name :smilielol: )

I printed out the recipe that I punched in and might give it a try myself. I have some 2206 and the rest of the ingredients and plan to make some other 2206 beers in the next few months. There was a good conversation on our local board regarding the simplest way to attempt a single decoction if you decide to throw caution (and your time!) to the wind. It's not really all that much extra work, but as I've said before... clear your calendar if you decide to try it, you'll want to allow for some extra time and make sure you get it right. If you want a link to that conversation, just ask and I will get one. Cheers. Here it is... https://free90free.c...der=asc&start=0

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Resurrecting a thread from 2009 here. Coming up shortly I will be making a starter and brewing some beers with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian. I have one recipe that I specifically got that strain for and when I was thinking of another one to make, SABL came to mind. Their site is loaded with good information and so I created a recipe thusly:

Sam Adams Boston Lager Kind Of Thing

7.25 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt
1.00 lbs Munich 10L
1.00 lbs Crystal 60L
2 ounces Crystal 120L
1 oz Hallertau pellets 4.3% for 60

1 oz Tettnanger 3.8% for 10
1 oz Hallertau 4.6% for 5
1 oz Tettnanger 3.8% for 2
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.012, IBU: 30, SRM: 11, ABV: 4.9%

Their site says that the beer is 4.9%, SRM 11 and IBUs of 30.  It also says that the grain bill is "Sam Adams 2-row malt blend" and Crystal 60.  I don't know what their "blend" is but I'm using this Rahr Pale Ale malt anyway and I'm "blending" it with Munich.  :P  I don't have enough C60 to get to SRM 11 so I am adding a dash of 120.  Hallertau & Tettnanger for the hops and it occurs to me that SABL has a late-hop flourish so I added most of the hops late.  I figure that if I hit their numbers and get reasonably close with the ingredients, it should be pretty good and hopefully accurate.  Oh... mash at about 151° and use 'balanced' water.

#12 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

They get to 11SRM by decocting.  I have been told that is one of the tricks to achieving the flavor that SABL has.  Chilis should pipe in here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users