6 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:21 AM

For the following grains which are the top malters available at NCM?US 2-RowMaris OtterMunich (Mtn told me bestmalz for this so I'll likely go with that)Golden Promise (seems like maybe only Thomas Fawcett and Sons has this variety)PilsenWheatHere is the link for what the options are: https://www.northcou...2007Catalog.pdfIf some malters are just plain better all around here is the list of malters if you'd like to rank them:Malteries Franco-BelgesThomas Fawcett and Sons LTDBestmalzBairds MaltCanada Malting Company LTD

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:40 AM

We did a bulk grain buy last year with my homebrew club from NCM.2 Row I got a bag of Great Western 2 Row. Awesome malt way better than Breiss, tastier and I have gotten better effiiciencies too. Munich I don't think you can go wrong with BestMalz Munich malt from Germany is greatPilsen and Wheat I again got BestMalz and I think both are top notch quality. I would not hesitate to suggest that to you for both grains.Franco Belges Pils I also got a bag of this with the intentions of Belgian beers. I have heard many say and I agree it is probably the finest Pils malt as well especially for Belgian beers. Marris Otter is wonderful malt and it is a Thomas Fawcett product and I believe Golden Promise is from them also MO is wonderful also. Hope this helps, you can't go wrong with NCM especially as close as you are to them as well. Good Luck!!

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

We did a bulk grain buy last year with my homebrew club from NCM.2 Row I got a bag of Great Western 2 Row. Awesome malt way better than Breiss, tastier and I have gotten better effiiciencies too. Munich I don't think you can go wrong with BestMalz Munich malt from Germany is greatPilsen and Wheat I again got BestMalz and I think both are top notch quality. I would not hesitate to suggest that to you for both grains.Franco Belges Pils I also got a bag of this with the intentions of Belgian beers. I have heard many say and I agree it is probably the finest Pils malt as well especially for Belgian beers. Marris Otter is wonderful malt and it is a Thomas Fawcett product and I believe Golden Promise is from them also MO is wonderful also. Hope this helps, you can't go wrong with NCM especially as close as you are to them as well. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the advice - I don't think great western is an option right now. One thing I'm not clear on is if pale ale malt and 2-row is the same thing. Otherwise there is only one brand (Canada Malting) that has something that is listed as "2-row"

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

Yes those are the same and Canada Malting is Great Western as well. Here check the link this should help you tooLinkGreat Western/Canada Malting

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

I had the Canada Malting last time I ordered from NCM .. Had no issues with it. This time I am trying to decide if it is just worth the extra couple bucks to just go all MO. I had no issues with the Canada Malting 2 -row.Mike

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

They are all good maltsters. Which one is best? Define "best".Out of the 5 listed, only two can be compared: Fawcett and Baird. I've used both in the past and they are both excellent.

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

Last time I ordered from them I got BestMalz Wheat, Munich and Vienna and TF Golden Promise. All great in my opinion. Can't go wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users