#1 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Just finished a porter and currently have an American Red Ale on the burner. Hoping to also get a Pilsner in tomorrow.The wife took the kid with her out of town, so I'm trying to get a ton of brewing in for this long weekend. Luckily, today's weather turned out pretty nice, but it's not suppose to hold for tomorrow. It'll be long johns and watching the boil from inside.What do you have in your tun/kettle/fermenter/brain?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Nothing for a couple of weeks while I heal up. As soon as I can lift again I am doing a Smoked brown, 90 Minute inspired IPA and another batch of denny's BVIP.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Brewing hefeweizen tomorrow morning.

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Brewed a Light American lager and a Vienna lager today. Both 7 gallon batches. Will pitch tomorrow at 50F.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

RyePA yesterday. Just repitched 1056 (bottom dump - gotta love conicals) from a batch started a couple weeks ago. 1272 was pitched yesterday. Pitched the 1272 while the fermenter was filling and cleaned the container that I crashed the yeast in with exit water from the plate chiller. Mindlessly turned the water off after cleaning and turned around to see 175df steaming wort going in on top of about 1.5 gallons of wort and yeast. That was a new one............ It'll be beer. Actually it looked as if it was barely starting today but I figured it was grossly underpitched at this point. Damn, first time in a while I didn't have dry yeast around for times like this.

#6 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Maybe another IPA in a day or two. I got my starter going late. My last IPA was a hit. it's going fast, and it's just now getting really clear. I tasted my next one on deck and it might be better. It'll get crashed starting tomorrow, and kegged a few days or so later. As soon as i get my starter stepped up, I'm doing another one. I think I created a recipe that I want to enter this tear. I may brew it a lot.ETA... doh! my glass is empty!!! AGAIN!

Edited by al_bob, 19 January 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#7 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Nothing here. Had pinewood derby yesterday and have various sicknesses running through the household. Maybe next weekend.

#8 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Nothing here. Had pinewood derby yesterday and have various sicknesses running through the household. Maybe next weekend.

Good luck with that. We really had it bad here the last two months.

#9 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

No brewing, but did find some store bought cider on sale (no fresh press this year). 5 gal cider & 3 gal Falls Bounty today

#10 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Good luck with that. We really had it bad here the last two months.

Yah right. I've been sanitizing all over the place today... Imma shut this shit down like a high school kegger.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Got an IPA boiling now as an experiment with a really high sulfate level. Going for 185 ppm. this time. Basic grist with pale malt and a lb. of C60. Chinook, Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo and Cascade hops.

#12 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I didn't get around to the pils today but I should get to it tomorrow. I've got distiller water and I think I'll try to build my own water for it.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

No brewing. Spent the weekend working on the new system. It's not quite ready for prime time but it's very close. Posted Image

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

No brewing. Spent the weekend working on the new system. It's not quite ready for prime time but it's very close.Posted Image

Looking good. What do you plan for ventilation and do each pot have a pigtail that goes back to the control box?

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Looking good. What do you plan for ventilation and do each pot have a pigtail that goes back to the control box?

Thanks. I'm hoping that just opening the basement door and the little window you see above the bench will be enough ventilation. If not, I'll have to install a hood over top of it.The HLT and BK both have power cords that go to the control panel. for the heating elements. All three have RTD sensors that go to the panel. Also the pumps down on the bottom plug into the panel.Here's a different angle.Posted Image

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks. I'm hoping that just opening the basement door and the little window you see above the bench will be enough ventilation. If not, I'll have to install a hood over top of it.The HLT and BK both have power cords that go to the control panel. for the heating elements. All three have RTD sensors that go to the panel. Also the pumps down on the bottom plug into the panel.

Pretty close to mine I just ran all my wires from the control box to outlets behind the pots so I could make all the leads from the pots shorter. IMO you will need a fan. I have both a hatchway door and a window and I found I needed the ventilation. I only have it for the brew kettle though. I did not feel I needed it over all of the pots. I just went with a vortex type fan and some 6" pipe and have the opening right at the top of the brew kettle. I think I posted some pictures of it on here somewhere. All in all it was not that much money and made a world of difference.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

mtn - are you in a basement or a garage?drez - CO is dry as all get out. not sure if this helps or hurts MTN :P

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

drez - CO is dry as all get out. not sure if this helps or hurts MTN :P

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Again, not sure if it helps or hurts!I think this is in his basement.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I would plumb a small hood. You don't want moisture build up in the basement.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I would plumb a small hood. You don't want moisture build up in the basement.

indeed you do not. i brew in my garage and just open the garage door fully or at least part way and then open a window. it's a big garage with high ceilings so it never gets too humid in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users