#1 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

I found one website from the UK who will sell a gallon for 40 euro and god knows how much shipping. And I see on fivestars website they distribute gallons. And I saw some site group brews people getting them for lik 40 bucks. That's a steal when a quart is 15-20 bucks. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? I searched everywhere I know.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Sort of like Sasquatch, I know that the gallon jug size exists but I've never seen it. I've never really needed it either since 32 oz. of SaniClean is only $13 and lasts forever. You could try contacting Five Star to see if they can point you in the right direction: 800.782.7019.

#3 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Will your local homebrew shop order one in?

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

good god hiller why would you need a whole gallon?

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Friday is "Clean the BBQ and Regular Chips Section" day down at the plant. He has 5,300 square feet plus 4 bagging machines to get shiney and clean before he starts his weekend.

#6 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:51 AM

Ha, I'm just one of those guys who will always buy in ulk if it means less$$ per ounce. I know ill probably eventually use the entire gallon. So it doesn't feel like a waste. And the idea of knowing I wouldn't have days where I'm like "shit I'm almost out" would be nice :cheers:

#7 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:11 AM

Honestly, how often do you brew? I usually make up a fresh batch of 1.25 - 2.5 gallons every month or two, which means a gallon of concentrate would last me more than 40 years.

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

See what Brewmasters Warehouse can do for you.Good selection, good price, great shipping. The guy who runs it knows his stuff and has excellent customer service.If you do not find it on their web site, call and ask.My #1 choice for online brewing supplies.

#9 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

Honestly, how often do you brew? I usually make up a fresh batch of 1.25 - 2.5 gallons every month or two, which means a gallon of concentrate would last me more than 40 years.

We'll I end up using almost 3 oz for every beer I brew. 1oz with 5 gallons of water to sit in the fermentor while I brew,and is dumped shortly before I rack the beer in it.. another oz with 5 gal of water sittingin a bucket whre everything is dipped in tha must be sanitized. (My autosiphon/racking cane get put in there when I start up my IC, and stay in there til I rack for example) and then when it comes time to rack beer into the keg, I use about another oz for that.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:43 AM

We'll I end up using almost 3 oz for every beer I brew. 1oz with 5 gallons of water to sit in the fermentor while I brew,and is dumped shortly before I rack the beer in it.. another oz with 5 gal of water sittingin a bucket whre everything is dipped in tha must be sanitized. (My autosiphon/racking cane get put in there when I start up my IC, and stay in there til I rack for example) and then when it comes time to rack beer into the keg, I use about another oz for that.

Buy a sprayer, you can get by using a lot less. I use 1 oz for 10 gallon batches, and even that is being wasteful.

#11 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

Buy a sprayer, you can get by using a lot less. I use 1 oz for 10 gallon batches, and even that is being wasteful.

This sounds like it could work for some things..but what about sanitizing the inside of my siphon? Right now I put it in the bucket, and start a siphon, and clamp it. I guess I could just put in 1 gallon of solution instead and do the same. But what about the carboy? How do you spray into a carboy and not miss spots?

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

This sounds like it could work for some things..but what about sanitizing the inside of my siphon? Right now I put it in the bucket, and start a siphon, and clamp it. I guess I could just put in 1 gallon of solution instead and do the same. But what about the carboy? How do you spray into a carboy and not miss spots?

I mix up 2-1/2 gallons of water and 1/2 oz of starsan in a bucket. I then use my autosiphon to transfer about 2-4 qts to the carboy. I then put the end of the autosiphon in the bucket and pump a couple of times to fill the tubing with starsan and then disconnect the tubing to lay in the bottom of the bucket. I use a plastic cup to fill the inside of the autosiphon occasionally and to run sani over the outside of anything else that is large. Other things like hydrometer, thermometer, airlock soak in the bucket. I then place the plastic cup over the top of the carboy and roll it and turn it upside down to make sure the sani wets all of the areas inside the carboy. I do that a couple times over 10-15 minutes and use the cup to cover the top. So 1/2 oz per brewday * 20 brew days a year = 10 oz per year.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

This sounds like a massive waste.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

This sounds like a massive waste.

holy shite! agreed!HH - you need only a small amount of sanitizer to take care of the fermentor but even if you did want to make 5 gallons you could save it and reuse it later.

#15 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:17 AM

holy shite! agreed!HH - you need only a small amount of sanitizer to take care of the fermentor but even if you did want to make 5 gallons you could save it and reuse it later.

agreed...i mixed 5 gallons of water with 1 oz of star san about 20 batches ago...i still have most of that left. it stays in a keg...i pump from keg to fermentor (and into a spray bottle), use this to sterilize everything, then pour it back into the keg. when i am santitizing a keg, i pump it out of the current keg and into the newly cleaned keg to sanitize it....the keg that i just pumped from becomes my new sanitized keg to rack fresh brew into.

Edited by ErnestFrye, 14 July 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I have a 32 oz. bottle that's 5 years old which still has about 1/4 left and I use it a lot. Using 3 oz. per batch is insane.

#17 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I have bought the gallon jugs from North County Malting. I got them in a 4-gallon pack with a bulk grain order. You have to pay an extra hazmat charge, but even with that, the gallon jugs were a heck of a bargain.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

I have bought the gallon jugs from North County Malting. I got them in a 4-gallon pack with a bulk grain order. You have to pay an extra hazmat charge, but even with that, the gallon jugs were a heck of a bargain.

Yeah, I contemplated getting a gallon with my last NCM order, but them I realized it would last me 20 years and I became concerned about the longevity of the chemical. I did end up with a 1/2 gallon of saniclean, but I think I'll actually end up using more of that because it lacks the foaming action.

#19 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

I have a 32 oz. bottle that's 5 years old which still has about 1/4 left and I use it a lot. Using 3 oz. per batch is insane.

I don't think you're getting all you can out of your starsan Hiller. I mix a 2.5 gal batch and without being careful with it I have it in a bucket for weeks. All you need to do is wet the surfaces and then it goes back into the bucket. My 32 oz bottle (that I recieved 1/2 full from a brew buddy over a year ago) still has a couple of inches in it. A few months ago I thought I should get another bottle since I'd be out soon, still haven't opened it. +1 on the spray bottle too.Beach

#20 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Same here, I made 5 gallons, put it in a spare keg, and I've had it for months, I don't even know how long. I check the pH periodically, and if I deem it questionable, I either make up a new batch, or I just sweeten it with a couple mL of concentrate.I work it like one of the above posters, just using CO2 pressure to move it around and then back to the starsan keg once I am done with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users