18 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54454 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Since I got into water additions (in grams), I looked into a gram scale. I ordered this on Sunday and it arrived today. It's very small, like a pack of cigarettes or so. It seems to work very nicely, considering it was only $8. It weights in grams, ounces, dwt and one more, I think. I set it to grams and then took a ¼ tsp of gypsum and weighed it & it came to 0.9 gms which seems pretty good. I know there are some other ones out there for $20 or $30, but this one seems like it will do a nice job for small salt additions. Cheers.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

I got one of those ones as well...shipped straight from hong kong...cheap and works very well.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

I couldn't pass it up at that price with free shipping. It'll be nice for hops.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54454 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

I couldn't pass it up at that price with free shipping. It'll be nice for hops.

I agree it would be good for hops. I have a small, analog kitchen scale that I use for hops and it's just fine, but it would be better to have a digital scale for that as well. Also, yes it was free shipping so how can you pass that up? It even came with batteries! I'm looking forward to using it. See the "tray", it also serves as the case... snap it in place and the whole thing is zipped up like a black box. Cheers.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Great find, Ken. My reloading scale broke a while back so I've been looking for another one to weigh out salt additions. This one seems perfect. My old one didn't have the little tray on top. So I was always trying to avoid spilling what I was weighing. This one solves that problem nicely. Thanks for passing it along.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

I had a plastic tub that came with an analog scale i had when i started that i use for the digi now...works perfectly for weighing out hops...the little cover you can't really weigh anything unless its small salt additions.

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

actually this is the exact one that i havehttps://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Electronic-Digital-Balance-Weight-Scale-0-1-1200g_W0QQitemZ190378814189QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSmall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item2c53762aed

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54454 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

It seems like I could measure pellets with this small tray. I would only be measuring in amounts less than 1 oz anyway and I think the pellets would fit. This thing would be trickier (if not close to impossible) to use with leaf hops.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

I use this little guy From Harbor Freight for Hops and Salts. Posted Imageit is normally $19.99, however I got mine on a sale day for $7.99 :cheers: For measuring salts I just use the face plate of the scale, for hops I use the tare function, and use a plastic Solo cupas my bin, works nicely.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

It seems like I could measure pellets with this small tray. I would only be measuring in amounts less than 1 oz anyway and I think the pellets would fit. This thing would be trickier (if not close to impossible) to use with leaf hops.

Aw, I measure 20 - 30 # of grain on my 6" X 8" scale in a 5 gal bucket all the time. I like to measure out hops in a container anyway for each addition. Whole shouldn't be a problem since this has a tare function and I rarely hit more than 3 oz at a timeGuess I mean 85 g. now........

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

2nd on the HF unit.

#12 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

salt measurements? maybe i'm missing something but what are all of you needing precise salt measurments for??

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

salt measurements? maybe i'm missing something but what are all of you needing precise salt measurments for??

for adjusting mash chemistry. it takes very small amounts to make a fairly substantial difference.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54454 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

Rob, you can check out this thread. It's not for the squeamish. We're talking about adding small amounts (about ¼ tsp in some cases) of various salts to boost your brewing water where it's low on certain ions. Calcium, Chloride, Sulfates, Magnesium, etc. Here's a shot of this model that I got...Posted Image

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

That thing would top out with my hop additions :frank: Does look like a good water salt scale and the price is decent.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54454 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

For those who picked up one of these... what are your thoughts? Seems to work well, right? I have used it many times for weighing out salt additions and it's also very nice if you decide to use .81 of an ounce of hops (or whatever). A couple weeks ago, I decided that .37 oz of Magnum would be good for a hop addition & this this is perfect for that. I honestly expected it to be a piece of crap but it appears to be very reliable. Cheers.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

I've been using it for hops additions. Easy to do with pellets - just use a plastic cup. A little tougher to balance a container on it for leaf additions. It's giving me a much more accurate readings for small amounts compared to the scale I used to use (still use it for grains though). And it was pretty accurate right out of the box after checking it with a few quarters. Since it will measure up to a pound it was well worth the little bit I paid for it.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Well I just ordered this one. My link Its not the same one in the OP but from the same seller. It is a little bigger and may be easier to fit hops into the bigger tray so may work out great. It is a few more $ but I waited till the end of auction so really only $11 shipped, not bad.

#19 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

I have one of these it must be 20 years old B) Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users