#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

So as always I am one recipe ahead. This will be my Christmas offering for the year.Grain:7.5 lbs Maris Otter1 lb Amber1 lb Victory.5 lb Caramunich III.5 lb Carafa IIHops:Probably just a bittering addition here...maybe some magnum or perle or maybe a little flavor addition with perle suggestions?Spices:Will be a mix of Cinnamon, Allspice, Nutmeg, Mace then add 1.5 tablespoons at 10 minutes like my pumpkin, and add to taste in the 2ndary1-2 Vanilla beans in boil with the spices mix of Tahitian and bourbon beansrack onto 2-4 vanilla beans in the 2ndary also a mix of Tahitian and bourbon beansYeast:Probably a British strain with a little fruitness to it but not too much maybe WY1968?OG: 1.057 FG: 1.014 IBU: 27-30Thoughts?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

I'm planning something like this for the holidays too. But I think mine will be a bit simpler on the grain bill and the spice. I'll use just 1 hop addition as you mentioned and then I thought about some cinnamon added at flameout and then a little more added to the secondary along with 2 vanilla beans. I like your idea of using something like 1968 because it will allow a bit of residual sweetness and it will also be clear as a bell. I have 1099 Whitbread ready to go for some English Bitters so maybe I'll use that. What are you thinking on the AAUs of your 60-minute addition?

I'm just throwing this together as it comes to mind...

7.5 lbs American 2-row
1 lb Vienna
8 oz CaraMunich II
4 oz Special B (mash temp about 150°)
½ oz Magnum 14.4% (7.2 AAUs) for 60 minutes
1 tbsp ground cinnamon added to the brewpot and allowed to steep (lid on) for 15 mins
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast
Mixture of Captain Morgans or Bacardi Spice and 1 tbsp of cinnamon added to the secondary
2 vanilla beans cut, scraped and schputzed into the secondary (probably also floating in a little Captain Morgan)

Maybe I'll just use about .4 oz of the Magnum for 5.75 AAUs... if the beer is too hoppy, the spice may not come across.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

AAUs I am thinking around 6. Since Magnum gives you that un-harsh bitterness I think it should be alright around 25 IBUs. Since the initial posting I have switched my yeast choice. I ordered this bill online and they had some of Wyeast 1450-PC Denny's Favorite left so I opted to go with that. Should get a few good uses out of that pouch....I made my spice mixture yesterday in anticipation...of course I won't be using it all but its all for the ratios....and I just love nutmeg around the holidays:2 1/2 Tablespoons Cinnamon5 teaspoons Allspice4 teaspoons Nutmeg4 teaspoons Mace2 teaspoons ground gingerI'll probably go with 1 1/2 tablespoons near flameout and then taste while transferring and decide if I need some in the 2ndary. The vanilla should make the spices standout...

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, I think I'll go with this after I make these English Ales. I will dial down the Magnum a little (5.25 AAUs for 60 minutes) and I also noticed something at the grocery store called cinnamon extract. I wonder if this would be better than ground cinnamon in the brewpot or secondary. It's probably got some alcohol so it could just be poured right into the secondary with no worries. I'm also thinking of adding a little more Special B to get a redder color. It should be fun to make. Here's my label...
Posted Image

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

Bottled this one up last night after sitting in the 2ndary for about 2 weeks and 1 week with 2 bourbon vanilla beans, 2 Tahitian vanilla beans, and a spice mixture that was soaked in triple sec. To my delight it fermented another 2 points to my predicted FG of 1.018 in the 2ndary. (goes along with the does gelatin deactivate yeast thread) Denny's Yeast seems to be a strange being having never used it before.The nose has a chocolaty orangness (from the little bit of triple sec) to it with a little spice background. The flavor is very complex with Chocolate spice shining through. The amazing thing is, for as much vanilla that I used it is very subtle. However, I think using it ramped up the chocolate notes quite a bit. Also the Tahitian beans don't give you the same flavor as the typical bourbon beans. They are more woodsy and dark fruit like. Just as in baking the vanilla worked as an amplifier for the other flavors in the brew. So Carafa II and some vanilla = chocolate. All in all this is probably the most complex brew I have ever produced. Although only about 5% alcohol I am thinking it should age very well. I can't wait to get this one carbed up and try it cool with some carbonation.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

That sounds nice, Amigo. Coincidentally, I racked my Christmas beer to secondary yesterday, but I cheated a little. I used 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon at flameout and then on Wednesday I mixed 2 ounces of premium vanilla extract with another 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and let that side in a covered bowl for 24 hours. Then I poured that into the secondary (with a gel solution) and racked the beer on top. I tried some and I think it's going to be delicious. I was going to use real beans but took a shortcut at the last minute. I will let it sit in secondary until late November and then get it into a keg for December drinking. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users